Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replace 1 1/2 hp single speed pump with 1 hp variable speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool replace 1 1/2 hp single speed pump with 1 hp variable speed

I currently have a 1 1/2 hp single speed A/O smith motor mated to a Whisper flow (4 years old at least). The pump is starting to whine and I have a opportunity to acquire a new Jandy 1 hp variable speed (entire unit - pump, basket, etc) one week old for a great price. Will this swap work? The directional jets (2) in my pool are much stronger than they need to be and there is plenty of suction for the cleaner when in use. I look forward to your thoughts

Thx,

macdad
    In ground, 11,000 gallons salt water pool, side wall port for cleaner, sand filter, electric heater, 1 1/2 hp single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replace 1 1/2 hp single speed pump with 1 hp variable speed

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. More than likely 1hp is more than enough.
    With VS you can drop the flow down quite a bit and save on electricity.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

3. Back To Top    #3

Since it sounds like you do not need high flow rates for a spa or something, that should with just fine and save a good bit of money on power.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

DO IT. I just replaced an AO Smith 1.5HP + Jandy FloPro older than dirt motor with a Hawyard SuperPump VS. Granted I got a 1.5HP replacement, but even on the medium setting I'm getting better flow than the old pump, and the high setting is way more than the kreepy krawly can handle.

The nice thing about the VS systems is they are so much more energy efficient, you can just leave it on low speed all the time so the water is circulating, and it's almost free in that mode. Once I have a couple weeks worth of data, I'll correlate it all (I can download daily usage statistics from my power account.)

Oh - and the best part is they are darn close to noise free.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_N View Post
    Once I have a couple weeks worth of data, I'll correlate it all (I can download daily usage statistics from my power account.)
    Your pump should tell you what the operating power is. You can calculate it from there by the run time hrs.
    You don't need to correct for power factor.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.