Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From black swamp to seeing the bottom in 2 1/2 weeks.

1. Back To Top    #1

From black swamp to seeing the bottom in 2 1/2 weeks.

Brand new pool owner here. Just bought a forclosure with an 8n ground pool in the back yard. After about 2 1/2 weeks I can finally see the bottom. It was a black swampy soupy mess. The pool sat for 2 years. With a ton of help from reading on the forum I can see the stingray in the bottom.

Here's what I did. Kept it at shock level for 2 weeks( discovered a hole in the de filter only after I recharged it after every backwash) once I got the new filter I flocked it, vacvumed... waited two days let it filter, decided to flock it again and finally all the de settled and we could vaccum to waste. Stats are as follows. Advice is more than welcome. Still have a little ways to go, I think it's always going to have a little tint. It has blue and green sparkly things in the gunite.
    44k gallon in ground
    9ft deep 4ft shallow
    PH 7.3
    FC 15 ppm
    CYA 50
    TA 110
    DE filter 3hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: From black swamp to seeing the bottom in 2 1/2 weeks.

Forgot the pictures.

I'll try and find some of the black swamp thing. full of Frogs, tadpoles and probably ebola.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

That's before we uncovered it. I'll have to wait to upload more. I've reached my limit.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Looks like only another week or so of SLAMming and you'll be TFP clear.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Ya that's what I'm hoping For. Unfortunately I am active duty and gone at work all night. Gonna kick the filter on tomorrow and start the actual slam process. Now that the wife vacuumed all the DE and a bunch of dead junk out. Its nice to see the bottom though.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use photo bucket to add more pics. We LOVE pics!

How are you testing your water?

That is a neat looking pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the TF 100 kit with the extra FC stuff. I wanted to buy a good kit instead of wasting money trying to do stuff with a crappy one. Thanks man we really like the pool. we lucked out with this foreclosure on 6 acres, the hotel sized pool is a giant plus. I'll add some more pics here in a bit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I LOVE the sea life on the walls and bottom... Very lovely!!!
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

6 acres??????? Hotel sized pool?? What is the house like? FUN times doing something to everything.

See we also bought a foreclosed house on 6.49 acres with an aboveground pool and pool house. So much "fun" finding all the little surprises where they cut corners or just did not even try.

BUT oh so worth it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds great! Pics required!

Here is more info on adding your pool info to your signature, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

well hopefully your house was in better shape than mine was.. haha. I had to get a rehab loan. Where they give you 30K on top of the purchase price for renovations. This thing is almost a total gut job. Flooring, new cabinets and granite countertops. the carpet was funky. The house is still in renovation mode but the kids are having a blast on the quads and dirtbikes and what not. We are in Northern VA and the house is a 3 story 3K sq ft cape cod and we got everything for less than 200K. The PO paid 117K for the pool, pool house/shed, pool heater, DE filter ect....

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for your service!!! Just curious. What part of VA do you live in? I am a big fan and spend a lot of time there.

13. Back To Top    #13

I appreciate it. I am in the Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg Area.
    44K Gallon In Ground, 4ft shallow 9ft Deep. 2 Skimmers, dual Main Drain in Deep end. Jandy Del60 DE filter, Pool heater, 3hp Pump, TF 100 Test Kit, Well Water.

14. Back To Top    #14

Spent some time at Mary Washington last fall and Randolph Macon this spring. Love the area!

What is your CC? Your shock level is 16. I would bring it back up there and even beyond when you are going to be away for a while.

15. Back To Top    #15

Its Defiantly nice in Northern Virginia. The traffic sucks though.

She brought the FC up to 20 Tonight, I'll have her check it in the morning. My CYA is at 45-50. The pool is on recirculate to keep water flowing until I get home at around 1300 or so. I'll get the Filter fired up and let her cruise around 21-22 ppm and brush it often. I'll keep you guys updated.
    44K Gallon In Ground, 4ft shallow 9ft Deep. 2 Skimmers, dual Main Drain in Deep end. Jandy Del60 DE filter, Pool heater, 3hp Pump, TF 100 Test Kit, Well Water.

16. Back To Top    #16

Great! Try to keep it at 16 or above at all times. Arg. You used military time; now I have to calculate... Guessing that is 1 in the afternoon? Hahaha

p.s. My family hails originally from Jamestown/Williamsburg/Charles City County; then a lot of Richmond. Lots of family resting at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond so I go there frequently to say hello and check up. I am a Shennandoah Valley girl at heart, though. Love those mountains on either side!

17. Back To Top    #17

Military time is easy, in fact its "Marine Proof" less that 12. that's the time I.E. 0900 is 9 am.. over 12.... subtract 12 I.E. 1300 = 1 pm. boom.

shennandoah valley is very pretty. I want to go see it in the fall.

Here's a picture from about a week or so into this project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Claytonfrnk; 07-28-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: fat fingers

18. Back To Top    #18

We lucked out that most of the damage was just cosmetic. Paint and cleaning, LOTS of cleaning. Well and finishing drywall and brick work on a door that was added. Did I say cleaning? LOL

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

Update. The water is really clearing up nicely. Now I have an Iron problem. I know it's iron because I tried the vitamin C sock thing. What do you all recommend to get the iron stains out? I'm getting a filter for my hose today. So I only have to battle this once. I'll post some pictures in a bit.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast