Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep chlorine test crystal scooper dry?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to keep chlorine test crystal scooper dry?

Little detail question. We've had a Taylor 2006 test kit for a little while now and like it. But we've noticed that the little scooper for the crystals that you put in to tube for the first step of the free chlorine test gets wet in the container, even though we're careful to keep it dry when we use it. Other stuff that's in the kit gets wet (tubes for testing especially) and those get put back in the Taylor box, so I'm guessing that the presence of that moisture in a closed box is enough for water to be drawn to the little scoop, meaning we have to dry it off somehow each day before using it. So, just wondering how people handle this and any ideas of how to avoid this problem, as my understanding is you really don't want wetness around those crystals. Thanks!
    18k gallon in ground pool. Whisper flow pump, Pentair FNS 48 DE filter. Pool interior resurfaced with mini-pebble in May 2015. Kreepy Krawly Sand Shark Cleaner. Taylor 2006 test kit. Shade structure over shallow end of pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep chlorine test crystal scooper dry?

I make sure to rinse off the little scoop before putting it in its storage spot - it always seems to be dry next time I use it. Maybe it's powder residue on the scoop that attracts the moisture you are seeing.

Normally I don't use the kit on a daily basis; however, even during a SLAM, when I was doing the FAS-DPD test multiple times daily, the scoop was dry in time for the next test.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like an idea to try. I'll wash off the residue and see how that works. Thanks!
    18k gallon in ground pool. Whisper flow pump, Pentair FNS 48 DE filter. Pool interior resurfaced with mini-pebble in May 2015. Kreepy Krawly Sand Shark Cleaner. Taylor 2006 test kit. Shade structure over shallow end of pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep my wet stuff outside the box until it's fully air dried.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

My scooper never gets wet. Do you stir with it or something? Sorry if I'm missing something here...

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I rinse then wipe the scoop dry before I put it away, I test FC daily and the scoop is not discolored at all, it still looks brand new.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I keep my wet stuff outside the box until it's fully air dried.
    Cha-ching! Testing apparatus should be kept high and dry. Lot's of ways to do it

Keep a little towel close by to give your stuff a cursory wipe is one way.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School