So, we had our pool redone a few months ago and I noticed after they completed their work that there was a damp spot in the ground around the box where our wiring for the pool light comes to. So a guy with the pool company that redid our pool came out today and we looked at it. The water was coming out of the pipe where the wiring comes from the pool light (and then goes on to the light switch, etc.). It wasn't a gush, but rather a fairly slow trickle. So his conclusion was that the top of the pipe where the wiring comes up is lower than the water level in the pool, so water comes back behind the pool light (which we had them replace, including wiring) and goes through the conduit and up the pipe. So my first question is whether the pipe where the pool light wiring goes back from the light should have water in it or should that line be sealed up and not get water in it?
This guy said that it's common to get water in the pipe where the wire runs back from the pool light, but that normally the pipe it comes up has a top that's higher than the pool level so it doesn't matter. He said as long as the wiring and light assembly is sealed, that's all that matters (and the light does work fine). Our wiring is in a box in the yard, at ground level, so it seems reasonable that it might be a little lower than the pool level. So the second question is that his proposed solution was to drop the pool level a little and then shoot a bunch of silicone caulking down the pipe hold where the water is coming out and that would seal it up so no water comes out. Does that make sense or is there a better solution? Thanks for any input!