Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Coming out Pool Light Pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Coming out Pool Light Pipe

So, we had our pool redone a few months ago and I noticed after they completed their work that there was a damp spot in the ground around the box where our wiring for the pool light comes to. So a guy with the pool company that redid our pool came out today and we looked at it. The water was coming out of the pipe where the wiring comes from the pool light (and then goes on to the light switch, etc.). It wasn't a gush, but rather a fairly slow trickle. So his conclusion was that the top of the pipe where the wiring comes up is lower than the water level in the pool, so water comes back behind the pool light (which we had them replace, including wiring) and goes through the conduit and up the pipe. So my first question is whether the pipe where the pool light wiring goes back from the light should have water in it or should that line be sealed up and not get water in it?

This guy said that it's common to get water in the pipe where the wire runs back from the pool light, but that normally the pipe it comes up has a top that's higher than the pool level so it doesn't matter. He said as long as the wiring and light assembly is sealed, that's all that matters (and the light does work fine). Our wiring is in a box in the yard, at ground level, so it seems reasonable that it might be a little lower than the pool level. So the second question is that his proposed solution was to drop the pool level a little and then shoot a bunch of silicone caulking down the pipe hold where the water is coming out and that would seal it up so no water comes out. Does that make sense or is there a better solution? Thanks for any input!
    18k gallon in ground pool. Whisper flow pump, Pentair FNS 48 DE filter. Pool interior resurfaced with mini-pebble in May 2015. Kreepy Krawly Sand Shark Cleaner. Taylor 2006 test kit. Shade structure over shallow end of pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Coming out Pool Light Pipe

I thought light niches were supposed to have some gooey "dope" placed around the wire
    where it goes into the conduit to prevent what you are experiencing.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I wondered. To me having pool water in that pipe long term wouldn't be good for it and long term would cause it to corrode and possibly fail long term.
    18k gallon in ground pool. Whisper flow pump, Pentair FNS 48 DE filter. Pool interior resurfaced with mini-pebble in May 2015. Kreepy Krawly Sand Shark Cleaner. Taylor 2006 test kit. Shade structure over shallow end of pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

The electrical conduit on mine is full of water and the box terminates about a foot above the pool. My electrician said this is normal.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

We just had our light replaced and they had a bear of a time pulling the old cord out. We had water getting in the electric box which was tripping the ground fault. There is putty they put around the wires at both the pool side and outlet. Our outlet boxes cap was then sealed.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It's normal for it to have water in it but it's supposed to terminate well above the pool water level. The problem with using anything to try to seal it is that it will make it difficult or impossible to change the fixture when the time comes.

The new light fixture comes with the new wire attached and you have to pull the old wire out and the new one in. Good luck with that if he does "shoot a bunch of silicone caulking down the pipe hold where the water is coming out". These fixtures do not last forever. It will need replacing, so ask him how he would do that when the time comes.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Why not add a bit of extra piping to the electrical end to raise it above pool height?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

8. Back To Top    #8

The conduit is made to have water in it but sometimes they leak. A fix it to put butyl tape inside the niche where the wire goes into the conduit. I had this problem and that fixed it. The tape is like soft black tar and can be removed if needed.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The pool light conduit is normally to have water in it A casual guess is that 95% of the pool lights in the USA have water in the conduit. Here in Calif it is code to.have the pool or spa light junction box connection a minimum of 18in above water level. You need to raise up your pool light junction box

10. Back To Top    #10

Our pool guy came by with his electrician and it turns out the box where the leak is has a number of wiring issues, including that the pipe isn't raised up like the previous poster mentioned, which is apparently code. So, our landscaper who had put that box in a few years ago and also did the wiring (and said that's part of what they do as landscapers) seems to have not done this properly and they may have to even run new conduit all the way from the fuse box. Given these events, I'm thinking I'll ask the landscaper to foot the bill for fixing this, as they should have done it properly when the did the work a few years ago.

11. Back To Top    #11

The junction box must be a listed pool light junction box. It must be more than 4 feet from the inside edge of the pool. It must be the greater of 4 inches above the permanent deck or eight inches above the maximum water level of the pool. Most PB exceed those minimum requirements.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
    , as they should have done it properly when the did the work a few years ago.
    Doing it properly would have included having an electrical inspection to confirm the work was done to code. A lot of people shudder at the thought of having an inspector on their property but, an inspector can be your best friend in cases like this. Around here, I would not let a landscaper do anything electrical more than install solar lights. Too much at risk.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    Doing it properly would have included having an electrical inspection to confirm the work was done to code. A lot of people shudder at the thought of having an inspector on their property but, an inspector can be your best friend in cases like this. Around here, I would not let a landscaper do anything electrical more than install solar lights. Too much at risk.
    Exactly! You should ask the landscaper if he obtained the proper permits for the electrical work, which should have included an inspection.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Whatever you or anyone else does DO NOT put any kind of sealant or putty in either end of the conduit. You will regret it when you need to pull that wire out. If you want it sealed you can buy a plug on amazon that's made for that purpose.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Raise the box. Thats the proper fix. As others haave said, its normal to have water in the conduit. Thats why the code calls for the juncion box to be above the water level of the pool.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Just got to thinking, I wonder if the bonding was done properly too?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm meeting the landscaper in a couple hours. I checked his licenses with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors and they aren't licensed to do this type of work. Only 110 work not related to a pool. I agree with what I've learned the junction box should be raised and that's what will be done, even if we pay for it ourselves. I agree sealing it would create trouble and risk in several ways down the road. The landscaper didn't seem familiar with the idea of the raised junction box but was being pretty evasive, especially when I told him I wanted them to pay to fix the problem.

18. Back To Top    #18

Well, that wasn't fun. The landscapers claim they have no responsibility, as they say they didn't cause water to flow into the box where all the wiring is at. They even waffled on whether they had done the work, even though I have lots of pictures showing they did. They wouldn't even concede that having 220 wiring in a box (for the pool pump), with wire connections having with only caps and black electrical tape on them sitting in water was a safety hazard. The guy didn't even know what his contractors license (for landscaping and irrigation) allows him to do regarding electrical work. I'm not sure I can go after them at the registrar of contractors, as it appears Arizona has a two year statute of limitations on filing a complaint and it's been about 3 years. I guess sometimes you just live and learn and try to be wiser about who you deal with and how you deal with them in the future.

19. Back To Top    #19

Why are there wires for the pool pump in the light conduit?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    Why are there wires for the pool pump in the light conduit?
    That's the wiring that runs to the pool pump, etc. When the landscaper ran new wiring from the pool equipment, he made one junction box with the wiring running to the pool pump and also the wiring coming up from the pool light all together. The pool equipment had been moved before we bought the place, so at the time they had apparently just put in a junction box for everything and then run another portion of wiring and conduit to get the wires to the new pool equipment location. When we had the landscaper do this (he said it was part of his contractor license, which we've since figured out was a lie) he said he'd clean it all up and do it according to code. But today they didn't even know about using a raised junction box for the pool light wiring, so I think their electrical knowledge was about zilch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast