Hello from sunny So Cal!

Jul 27, 2015
Corona, CA
Hi all! I'm a brand new pool owner in Corona, California, a suburb approx 50 miles out of Los Angeles. I found TFP about three years ago and have been dreaming about putting up a pool since. We put up a brand new 18' round Intex pool in June of this year. It's warm here and although on severe water restrictions, we needed another way of cooling down besides staying inside with the a/c running 24/7. My hubby helped me put the pool up but pretty much said I'm on my own with maintenance since he works seven days per week some weeks. I'm okay with that. I was doing pretty well until we had a major storm a week ago that pounded our pool and shorted out the pump. It shut off and now I'm trying to get my pool back to where it was.

Hello and welcome to TFP! So you would probably like to show your husband how well you've done with the pool right? We need to take measures to prevent a major algae outbreak and keep your water somewhat healthy while your pump is out and you are waiting on your K-2006. So, here's your "To-do" list:
- Add 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each evening once the sun goes down. With no sun, that's your bleach's best opportunity to fight organics
- Has anyone added "stabilizer or conditioner" to the water? This increases CYA to protect your good chlorine which you will test when your kit arrives. If not, then you need to add some right away. If you think someone did, or used tablets/pucks for a long time, then we'll assume you have some and wait for your kit to arrive and confirm.
- With no bleach, it's important to sweep and stir the water a bit to help get the bleach everywhere in the pool. Just do the best you can. :)
- If you have ANY way to test PH it should be in the mid 7s.

Getting the pump back on-line will be a big help. I hope you two are able to do that soon. While running a pump 24/7 is not necessary for clear water, you do want it to help mix chemicals and pull items from the surface into your skimmer.

In your spare time, please look at the pages/links in my signature. They are vital to your pool water management and you will use them all the time. If you have any other questions, please let us know. Nice to have you with us. :)

Thanks Texas Splash! Water is all balanced now and pump and SWG are working well. I invested in three 121-ounce bottles of 8.25% bleach and have been adding per Pool Math. I've been reading Pool School and using Pool Math AND using my Taylor 2006 kit :goodjob:. I'm just ready to get vacuuming but don't like that the dead stuff is coming back in through my cartridge filter. Any advice? I don't really want to waste water since we're on restrictions and it's all balanced pretty well.

If you haven't cleaned your cartridge filter in a while, you might want to give it a thorough pressure washing. That might help to collect any remaining debris. If your water ever shows symptoms of being sick (cloudy, green, etc), just remember to follow the following links:
Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
And as always, refer to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to ensure you have the correct FC based on your CYA.

Enjoy the rest of your swimming season!

Thanks. I've checked with the Chlorine/CYA chart and that's why my goal of FC is at 5. I cleaned out my filter the day before yesterday (I'll clean it again today). But it's the fine particulate settled at the bottom that I'd like to vacuum out. If I SLAM the pool, will the dead algae disintegrate further? And be filtered by the cartridge filter?

If/when we SLAM, the dead algae eventually makes it way to the filter either from sweeping/brushing to the skimmer or direct vacuuming. A SLAM doesn't really make dead algae any smaller, just ensures any living organisms are killed. Either way, the dead algae makes it to your filter media - in your case cartridge. That's why during/after a SLAM we may have to rinse-out our cartridges just a little bit more than usual. After that though, it should slow down and go back to normal periodic maintenance. Hope that helps.