Need Some SLAM Advice

john.esher

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Havertown, PA
Need some advice for my first ever pool. We have an Intex 18'x54" round AG, the manufacturer puts it at just under 7,000 gallons of water. For filtration we're using the Intex Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System with ECO, Model ECO15110.

When I first set it up, I didn't realize that I would have to add additional chlorine - I thought the SWG would handle it (and I still don't see in the instructions where it says to add chlorine). Needless to say over the next few weeks we developed algae. Adding bleach cured that temporarily, but then we experienced a heat wave and the pool got cloudy and the another algae bloom began. Having found TFP in the interim, I began every other day sweeps and vacuums to waste all the while adding about a cup bleach a night and two gallons of Natural Science (I think - sold by Leslie's) liquid conditioner. All of this was over about a week while using test strips. I now have it mostly clear and I think I'm ready to start a SLAM to get crystal clear water and no recurrences. Here are my numbers from my one hour old K-2006 test kit:

CYA ~80 to 90
FC 19.6 to 20.5
pH 7.6
TA 140
Salt ~2500 (test strip, next test kit I buy)
Temperature 78'

Apparently the conditioner was not registering with the strips, because it's up there now. My plan was to do a partial to half drain, check the CYA and then start a SLAM. But I'm wondering, given the SWG (which is turned off now, just filtering 24/7 now), can I just proceed? Or is the CYA still too high?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 53
When your SWG couldn't keep up did you not have any CYA in the pool? Definitely need CYA to protect your FC from the sun. Should be better with CYA.

Yes, you can go ahead and SLAM now. I would lower PH to 7.2-7.4 first.

Nice test kit! Water looks good, shouldn't take long to knock it out.

Here is the Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs after you finish your SLAM.

It might be the photo but that pool doesn't look like it was properly leveled. That can cause a problem down the road structurally.

Oh, I'm well aware. And it doesn't work well with my, um, attention to detail. I had a "professional" hardscaper level the area and while that might work for rocks, it doesn't work for the pool! I'm taking it down for the winter as we live in PA, so I'll fix it before next season. Only have at best two months of swimming left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWG's like a CYA of 70-80, so you're not out of the ballpark too much. As pooldv said, go ahead and SLAM at that level. It will take a bit more bleach but your pool isn't so big that it's gonna break the bank, and it looks mostly clear too. Should be a short SLAM. Keep the SWG off while you SLAM, then dial it in (though some trial and error) to a level that keeps you around 6 to 7 ppm chlorine for the rest of the season. Good luck, and welcome

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.