Cloudy water after algae treatment

Jul 27, 2015
Corona, CA
Hi everyone! I'm pretty excited to finally be a member of TFP after three long years of wanting a pool. We just put up an Intex (I know, I know) 18' x 48" round AG pool in June. It was looking amazing for the first 4 weeks, then we had a HUGE storm (which we needed in So Cal, but often causes problems). I didn't know it, but the storm caused the GFCI that the pump was plugged into to trip. So...the pump and SWG did not come on like they were supposed to AND we had rain water in the pool. Fast forward one week and I had green water. I almost started crying.

I went to the pool store and have been pretty trusting since I've been having my water tested about every week there and they've not been pushy at all about selling stuff. I told him about my algae and he gave me a plan for the following results: FC 2 (TC 2), salt 3200ppm, CH 160, CYA 60, TA 100, pH 7.4, phosphates 200.

The plan was to triple shock, thoroughly brush the pool, add algae control (Kemtek 60% concentrated algaecide I bought from Amazon), then superchlorinate using a pound of their Chlor Brite (Leslie's granulated chlorine). I was finally able to start seeing a little further down in the water and decided to brush again. My SWG has been on boost mode since last night (I thought Boost mode had a preset time with auto off, but it has been on the whole time).

I'd like to know what the TFP recommendations would be for continuing to monitor this situation since now it's sunny outside and I have to work tomorrow. :confused: Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Rain didn't turn your pool green, lack of chlorine did. It is important to always maintain chlorine at target level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart.

Algaecide does not kill algae. It might even say in the instructions not to add it if you have algae. And if it contains copper it can stain your pool and turn light hair green. And it costs too much!

All you need to kill the algae is chlorine and this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Here is an intro to how we maintain pools. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Step 1 is to get a great test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Oops! I left out the step about triple shocking the pool BEFORE adding the algaecide. Yes. Underchlorination was a constant problem for us before the rain and the disabling of the filter pump. But it wasn't until I left the SWG on boost after slamming that I noticed the difference. Even better is today after the water returned to a cloudy/milky blue, I did not feel any slickness to the walls or floor. What should I expect from the dead algae as far as debris clean up goes?

Also, I am expecting my FAS-DPD kit to arrive in two days. I have read the ABCs of Pool Chemistry a few times. One thing I'm concerned about and need more education on is the use of chlorine bleach so heavily recommended on this site. Can you please advise me on the use of bleach or direct me to a site or Pool School page on this topic? Thanks again.

Sounds like good progress. Run your filter 24 hours, or at least a lot. Brush every day to expose the algae to chlorine and vacuum every day to get rid of the dead algae.

Bleach is just a convenient form of chlorine that does not add CYA like dichlor and trichlor pucks and shock do. Liquid chlorine is fine too, it is exactly the same as bleach with a higher percentage of chlorine. The chlorine is the same in all of them.

More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Ah. Thank you for clarifying the benefits of using bleach. I was under the impression that it was harmful to the environment and swimmers.

More pool store myths and ignorance. The ingredients in pool store liquid chlorine, liquid shock and plain old grocery store bleach are exactly the same. Sodium hypochlorite and water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.