Over the side skimmer reviews? Plus a CYA test question

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
So I've decided these stupid Intex pools need a wall skimmer so does anyone have the Intex brand over the wall skimmer? I guess I shouldn't say stupid-got mine on a dime but am figuring out there are so many disadvantages! Does it work? If not, then a better solution idea?
Next question: When doing CYA test do I read it when I absolutely cannot make out any of that circle? My test has gotten very, very cloudy where I can't see details but can make out there's something at the bottom at 30. To not see it at all, I'm only at 20. I want to test again tonight to post numbers, so would really like to know which one is most accurate. Thanks!!

I'm afraid I can't help you with the slimmer question, although hopefully someone else will. Many have added such a skimmer. But for the CYA .. yes, the black dot needs to completely disappear. Here's what I always say to members who have difficulty with that test:
Use the mixing bottle to combine/mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then mix again. Then, while outside with sun to your back and holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. You can also pour the mixed solution from the skinny tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Hope this helps.

So I've decided these stupid Intex pools need a wall skimmer so does anyone have the Intex brand over the wall skimmer? I guess I shouldn't say stupid-got mine on a dime but am figuring out there are so many disadvantages! Does it work? If not, then a better solution idea?
Next question: When doing CYA test do I read it when I absolutely cannot make out any of that circle? My test has gotten very, very cloudy where I can't see details but can make out there's something at the bottom at 30. To not see it at all, I'm only at 20. I want to test again tonight to post numbers, so would really like to know which one is most accurate. Thanks!!
They work OK, but I found it a hassle because it was always getting banged into so I would remove/reinstall for each swim.

I installed a through the wall skimmer and I'm very happy with it (see link in my signature).

When I check my CYA, once I think the dot has disappeared I will tilt the tube back and forth to see if I see the dot move. It needs to completely disappear.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.