City Water Hard, Pool CH 575 any options besides drain refile

Ok, so I'm new to this forum stuff and to pool care. I have read through almost all of the articles in pool school and still feel clueless.

I tested my pool today. Here are the numbers

FC 1.5
CC .5
CH 575
TA 160
CYA <20
Temp is 77

The water is cloudy

I plan on using the recommendations from the calculator, but I have hard water from the City and I am not sure replacing 48% of the water with already hard water will do any good. Is there another way to reduce CH?

You don't have to reduce your CH, you just should keep it in check by managing your pH. If you keep your pH at the lower end like 7.2-7.4 it will help avoid scaling from the high calcium. Lowering your pH with Muriatic Acid will also help lower you TA.
You need more chlorine and CYA in there to protect that chlorine. You're probably cloudy because you're close to getting a full out algae bloom at the rate your chlorine is now. Use Pool Math and liquid chlorine to get it up please.

Welcome! :wave:

Don't sweat the high CH. It's manageable. What you want to do is get the pH (You didn't list it and it's critical) to about 7.2. Add a little CYA either via granular stabilizer or some dichlor or trichlor shock to get you to 30ish, and then perform the SLAM process.

After the SLAM is complete, then you just need to take care to maintain pH at the lower end of the safe scale and reduce TA and you won't have to worry about scaling despite the hard water. You'll also likely want to boost CYA after the SLAM to 40 or 50 and raise the FC minimum to match.

To lower CH, grab as much rainwater as you can. I diverted one of my raingutter downspouts into the pool. When there is a storm, I let the first bit pass to wash the dust off the rood and capture as much as I can afterwards. It does create a mess for the filter, but it's Calcium-free.

- - - Updated - - -

You have an above ground pool that is presumably vinyl? If so, CH isn't of real concern in a vinyl pool. What's more concerning is your low FC....Get it up!
WRONG. Low CH is not a problem for vinyl. High CH is a problem in any pool. Perhaps it's worse in vinyl than concrete because you can't use a stainless steel brush on vinyl.

To lower CH, grab as much rainwater as you can. I diverted one of my raingutter downspouts into the pool. When there is a storm, I let the first bit pass to wash the dust off the rood and capture as much as I can afterwards. It does create a mess for the filter, but it's Calcium-free.

not trying to hijack this thread. Richard, I have read in other threads that you have done this. Do you have some type of attachment that you attach to your gutter downspout to do this? I have high CH as well and when I brought the idea up with my wife, she gave the "you're crazy" look.

Thanks all! I did get my cya level up to 40, but FC is still low. I think I may have had a kid with skid marks in his suit in too, but don't know for sure. Looks like it's SLAMIN' time. Thanks again. I'll repost my progress. Can you start the process late at night then test first thing in the AM?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the PH was 7.5 at first post but now is 7.2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.