Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: City Water Hard, Pool CH 575 any options besides drain refile

1. Back To Top    #1

City Water Hard, Pool CH 575 any options besides drain refile

Ok, so I'm new to this forum stuff and to pool care. I have read through almost all of the articles in pool school and still feel clueless.

I tested my pool today. Here are the numbers

FC 1.5
    CC .5
    CH 575
    TA 160
    CYA <20
    Temp is 77

The water is cloudy

I plan on using the recommendations from the calculator, but I have hard water from the City and I am not sure replacing 48% of the water with already hard water will do any good. Is there another way to reduce CH?
    18' x 48" Round AG- 6,423 Gal SunRunner AL50 Sand filter/Pump combination
    13" 45lb. SF, 30gpm pump
    Installed 7/13/15 filled by 7/15/15 from city water, hard water
    TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: City Water Hard, Pool CH 575 any options besides drain refile

You have an above ground pool that is presumably vinyl? If so, CH isn't of real concern in a vinyl pool. What's more concerning is your low FC....Get it up!
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't have to reduce your CH, you just should keep it in check by managing your pH. If you keep your pH at the lower end like 7.2-7.4 it will help avoid scaling from the high calcium. Lowering your pH with Muriatic Acid will also help lower you TA.
    You need more chlorine and CYA in there to protect that chlorine. You're probably cloudy because you're close to getting a full out algae bloom at the rate your chlorine is now. Use Pool Math and liquid chlorine to get it up please.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Don't sweat the high CH. It's manageable. What you want to do is get the pH (You didn't list it and it's critical) to about 7.2. Add a little CYA either via granular stabilizer or some dichlor or trichlor shock to get you to 30ish, and then perform the SLAM process.

After the SLAM is complete, then you just need to take care to maintain pH at the lower end of the safe scale and reduce TA and you won't have to worry about scaling despite the hard water. You'll also likely want to boost CYA after the SLAM to 40 or 50 and raise the FC minimum to match.

To lower CH, grab as much rainwater as you can. I diverted one of my raingutter downspouts into the pool. When there is a storm, I let the first bit pass to wash the dust off the rood and capture as much as I can afterwards. It does create a mess for the filter, but it's Calcium-free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    You have an above ground pool that is presumably vinyl? If so, CH isn't of real concern in a vinyl pool. What's more concerning is your low FC....Get it up!
    WRONG. Low CH is not a problem for vinyl. High CH is a problem in any pool. Perhaps it's worse in vinyl than concrete because you can't use a stainless steel brush on vinyl.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

your CH level is manageable. plenty people here are managing a much higher CH level, 800, 1000, etc.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    To lower CH, grab as much rainwater as you can. I diverted one of my raingutter downspouts into the pool. When there is a storm, I let the first bit pass to wash the dust off the rood and capture as much as I can afterwards. It does create a mess for the filter, but it's Calcium-free.
    not trying to hijack this thread. Richard, I have read in other threads that you have done this. Do you have some type of attachment that you attach to your gutter downspout to do this? I have high CH as well and when I brought the idea up with my wife, she gave the "you're crazy" look.
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jagger2005 View Post
    not trying to hijack this thread. Richard, I have read in other threads that you have done this. Do you have some type of attachment that you attach to your gutter downspout to do this? I have high CH as well and when I brought the idea up with my wife, she gave the "you're crazy" look.
    Shop Amerimax Flex-A-Spout 25.5-in White Vinyl Downspout Extension at Lowes.com

My spa is about four feet away from a downspout.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Simple enough. Thanks

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all! I did get my cya level up to 40, but FC is still low. I think I may have had a kid with skid marks in his suit in too, but don't know for sure. Looks like it's SLAMIN' time. Thanks again. I'll repost my progress. Can you start the process late at night then test first thing in the AM?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the PH was 7.5 at first post but now is 7.2