DE Filter to Sand Filter

NAP

Jul 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I am looking at replacing my DE filter with a sand filter and was told my current pump will need to be replaced as well because of the switch. Is this true and if so, why? I attached pictures of my current pump and filter information. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438024549.284775.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438024560.299507.jpg

Hello and welcome NAP, thought I would post here to get it back to the top for others to look at.

I'm not real familiar with DE filters, but looking the pics, depending on the size of filter I would think your 1/2 HP would work. It is on the low side of HP, but that also depends on your pool size I would think.

Someone more enlighten will see this and comment soon :D. hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

You certainly don't have to replace the pump if you change to a different style of filter. The valve on the sand filter will likely be different and need to be included with the purchase.

When getting a new filter, especially sand, the general rule is, bigger is better. If you could add the details of your pool to your signature, that would help to give you advice on how big of a sand filter you need/want. Check out other people's signatures and be sure to include volume, pool surface, pump, type of chlorination, testing method... etc. To change your signature, click on Settings in the upper right and then Edit Signature on the next page.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I have a gunite pool with fiberglass sides...Between 25,000 and 30,000 gallons...Currently have a 0.5 horsepower pump with a 36 square foot Sta-Rite DE filter. I have been told to look at sand filters that hold about 300 pounds of sand. I was mostly questioning the place that told me the pump would need to be replaced as well, which didn't make sense to me at all.

I have a Hayward S270T sand filter on my pool. It's 350 lbs of sand. I even wanted to go to the S310T which is 500 lbs of sand but it would not fit between my heater and pump on my equipment pad. A 24" to 27" sand filter, 300-350 lbs. sand would be the ball park recommendation that I'd give.

Hayward and Pentair have good filters with well-made valving. Other folks may have recommendations on others. There are two styles of multiport valves for sand filters. Top-mount and side-mount. Top mount style are generally a little cheaper but the seals on the base of the valve can be more finicky and you MUST install unions on the return and suction side of the multiport so that you can easily remove it for servicing the inside of the filter. Side-mount valves would not necessitate unions like this as you can remove the top of the filter for service without having to mess with the multiport.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.