Helping friend with TFP method - gunite/plaster pool

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
Hi All,

I've convinced quite a few people that pool care, the simple way, isn't rocket science, and it doesn't need to be expensive. Another friend of mine, great guy, has been paying a pool company over $500/month plus the cost of chemicals (another $150-200/month) to care for his 44x18 gunite pool with separate and spa. NUTS! After me bragging about my average monthly cost of around $15-20, he finally decided to give it a shot. He'll admit though, he's not a computer guy, and he's pretty busy (he owns a restaurant). Anyway, I told him once he's dialed in, it really gets simple and quick.

We're about 2 weeks into the TFP method and so far he's got it under control with a few questions here and there for me. The only thing I'm not used to dealing with, since I have a vinyl liner, is the calcium. His CH is reading around 175, so I know it needs t be fixed to get it up between 250-350. The stuff you need for this seems to be something you might have to buy at the pool store, no? Is it at Walmart or grocery stores? I cant' seem to find it. I told him if he does need to go into the pool store, to just say what he needs, look straight ahead, answer no questions, and just leave. LOL!

Seriously though, from what pool math tells me, he needs to add 315 oz. WOW. But I assume i just trust it and go with that? Any advice on how to add this much too? Pool school has me thinking I just broadcast it int he deep end...

That's another thing - I think his pool is much larger than he thinks it is. I estimate about 26000 gallons. Deep end is only 6'. so it's not a diving pool.

Thanks!

Thanks guys.

His FC is around 7, so he's going to let it float down a bit (too high) for his CYA level of only about 10-20 right now and pH is holding around 7.5. It was low when we started this, around 6.8, so we brought it up a bit. TA is 70.

I tested the hose water, and CH is, I'm guessing, 0. We added 10 drops of R-0010 and mixed, and then when we added 3 drops of R-0011L it went straight to Blue, not red. I didn't bother adding R-0012 since it was already blue.

Ok, he has some VERY soft water. If you use pool math, it will tell you how much CH Cal Hypo will add when you use it...if you so choose. He's obviously used some source of Calcium provided his makeup water is static with CH levels. I'd suggest letting the pH go to 7.8 until you get the CH up to a 250 minimum.

He had to drain and refill a few weeks ago, so a tile guy could fix the pool tiles around the water line. I'm guessing the pool water that was delivered is the source of the calcium he now has.

So from what I'm reading, given the readings we got, he should add the Calcium increaser then, yes? Just broadcast it into the pool after mixing a bit in a 5 gallon bucket? I'm reading that he needs about 315 oz, or 20 pounds...

And I am correct in that it is important to keep this in check in a plaster pool, right? He said he doesn't think his pool guy EVER checked for that, as he never remembers seeing a bottle labelled calcium increaser or anything laying around in the pool house.

And I know we all like looking at pools, so while it's an aerial shot, you'll get the idea of the "compound". :)

kpool.jpg

Just following up...any reason why we shouldn't start adding the calcium? Just mix and dump in deeper end?

I don't see any reason not to. Pool School says "Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool." Brush after adding so there aren't any granules on the pool surface.

I always add in small doses because adding calcium can sometimes make the pool cloudy temporarily. I do mix mine in water first but be aware that it creates an exothermic reaction if you do it this way.

he should add the Calcium increaser then, yes? Just broadcast it into the pool after mixing a bit in a 5 gallon bucket?

The instructions for the Clorox Calcium Hardness Increaser says "DO NOT pre-dissolve this product as extreme heat generation and potential adverse chemical reaction may occur".

I added a total of 25 pounds (divided into three batches). Some brushing was necessary after adding each batch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.