Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliFlo VS Pump Shutting Down Without Warning

1. Back To Top    #1

IntelliFlo VS Pump Shutting Down Without Warning

I have a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump that just started to shut down after just a few minutes of run time. All was good until sometime yesterday when the pump decided to cycle off and on by itself. (Please note my signature block below for all the associated equipment.) The pump comes on "normally" runs for about 1 minute then shuts down. The "Filter" led stays lit on the EasyTouch control panel but the pump is not running. The, lo and behold, after a few minutes it restarts and appears to run normally. Very weird!

I've cycled the power to not only the pump but to the EasyTouch control panel, checked all the connections and wires, but nothing obviously wrong. I checked the EasyTouch panel more closely. I selected the "Settings" page, then accessed the "IntelliFlo" page, then the "Pump Status" page. The "Pump Status" shows RPM, Wattage and Comm. Under the Comm section it shows "No Comm!". Any suggestions?
    19,500 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot (aka "Robbie"), Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IntelliFlo VS Pump Shutting Down Without Warning

I am not the person to be answering but someone should be able to help you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

If i were you I would disconnect the pumps comm link cable and see if it does the same thing by controlling the pum manually.

that would narrow down whether its a easy touch problem or a pump controller problem.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input. Finally got hold of Pentair. They sent out a local tech rep 3 days ago. He pulled all the panels off the electrical equipment and discovered the printed circuit board (PCB) for the IntellipH had "fried" itself. From what I could see on the PCB, it looks like a diode near the power input connector somehow shorted out and melted. That evidently led to a bunch of extraneous signals being generated throughout my entire Pentair comm system. Once the IntellipH controller was removed from the system, the pump began working correctly. However, my IntellipH is down awaiting parts. Back to manually adding MA!
    19,500 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot (aka "Robbie"), Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.