Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about CYA and Chlorine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about CYA and Chlorine levels

If my CYA is 100 and my Chlorine is between 8-10 is that safe or do I need to drain some out and refill?
    NancyAnn
    3600gals.(approx. pool not full) AG, Vinyl, 15ft. dia. x 42in. H, SFS1000 filter, uses pleated paper filters, pump type F1000C 1,075GPH. Small fountain.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about CYA and Chlorine levels

Welcome!

You may have more than 100 PPM CYA. I would do a test of 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water and test and then multiply that number by 2. This means to fill the sample bottle to the 7 ml mark and then carefully pour out half and then add tap water and the proceed with the CYA test as normal. Post a full set of numbers and then we can provide more accurate information. Either way, a drain and refill is in probably in your future, but with an accurate reading, you can know how much to drain.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A week ago you posted that you were registering 0 CYA, how did your go from zero to 100 in a week?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy_Ann View Post
    If my CYA is 100 and my Chlorine is between 8-10 is that safe or do I need to drain some out and refill?
    I guess you didn't actually say your CYA was 100, so perhaps it's just a hypothetical question. In any case, if your CYA is 100 your FC should be 7-12 ppm. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

5. Back To Top    #5

Donldson, last week I tested my pool's CYA and it was registering below 30. That's all I could guess at due to the test kit I had. I bought stabilizer and followed the directions to raise my CYA by 20ppm and yesterday I was reading 100! I added the stabilizer sometime last week, though I'm not sure exactly what day it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Amail, I did go to that article. It said that those levels were NOT recommended. That's why I asked if it was safe to swim in.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone.
    NancyAnn
    3600gals.(approx. pool not full) AG, Vinyl, 15ft. dia. x 42in. H, SFS1000 filter, uses pleated paper filters, pump type F1000C 1,075GPH. Small fountain.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh boy... Maybe a dilution will see if you're past 100.

Measuring is key when doing the TFPC. If you have a helper, make sure you're not working against each other n adding too much of the same thing.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Well NancyAnn, unfortunately .. however it happened ... your CYA went too high. Not to worry, it's not the worse thing that could happen. But to answer your original question, "yes" you should do a partial drain to lower the CYA back down a bit. If your water is currently clear and in good shape, maybe drain about 1/4 or so to see if that gets it down to around 75 or so. The sun and heat in our regional area is tough, and your pool is somewhat small (warms-up fast), so the relatively high CYA will provide additional protection to your chlorine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!