Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical Advice

We have a new Intex Bubble spa that we want to put on our covered patio here in Oregon. There is no suitable outlet and we need to use a short extension cord. What kind of cord (rating, color, etc?) should we use. We cannot hard wire it since this is a rental. It will be protected from damage, water, kids, and so on.

Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electrical Advice

According to the manual it uses a minimum of 13 amps so you need a cord of at least 14ga wire or rated for at least 15 amps if it's going to be 25' or less. If it's more than that you need a 12ga cord. I wouldn't recommend an extension cord more than 50'
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your quick reply. Is there any advantage to go with the higher gauge for the shorter cord?
    Thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is, because there would be lower voltage drop with a larger cord. I always go with the largest cord I can find. Just FYI to anyone in the future, the larger the number, the smaller the size wire.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit