Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thickness of gunite

1. Back To Top    #1

Thickness of gunite

This might be a dumb question...When gunite is shot, how do you know how thick the floor is?

Basically how do I know they are not just an inch above the rebar?

The walls I think I can tell but the floor, how do you tell?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thickness of gunite

I think the only real way to tell is to have a board go across the top of the forms. Measure from the board down to the dirt before they shoot the gunite. Then do the same measurement after the gunite is installed from the same place. Should give you an idea how thick it is.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

3. Back To Top    #3

I noted down the height of the rebar before gunite and did one after. If you still have rebar, you may want to keep a note of this today.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. ill put a board across the forms and measure it to the dirt.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could also use a piece of string
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping