Help - Need to Slam, want to make sure I understand everything

Aug 14, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
I've had our pool (15k-ish gallons I think, a backyard play pool type that gets maybe 5-6 feet deep max) for almost 3 years now and it was easy to maintain for 2 of those years. Now it seems impossible to keep it clear.

I've talked with some pool guys, and one eventually recommended draining out half the pool if possible, which i've done, but now I think I need to slam it since I tried to add chlorine, but it still got green again.

I think I need to do the following (but please correct me if wrong):

1) Take some water to pool store to test CYA so I can know that level.
2) Buy a better Chlorine test (mine goes up to 5.0) so I can monitor FC and CC levels during a shock. Anyone know of a good inexpensive one for this? Money's a concern, especially with the amount of chlorine I may have to buy.
3) Possibly buy stabilizer depending on CYA level?
4) Use pool calculator to figure out what FC Chlorine level I have to get above.
5) Shock early evening, test before bed (add chlorine if needed), test in morning, test after work, etc.

Is that what has to happen? We've had some medical issues that added some bills, so can't just go crazy spending lots of cash on expensive test kits and things. I also wonder if it may be worth finding a pool guy to come out and get the chemicals right, but I'd have to call around and see what that would cost.

Any input? I just want to make sure that I understand the entire process, because I don't want to waste money on chlorine that disappears into the pool abyss. We'd just like the pool available to use, and I can keep it going once it's at a point where it's not so fragile.

Thanks!

Or, am I screwed and better off having it drained and reset chemically this spring?

I had never had it drained myself, and don't know how long it'd been before we owned the house, so that's why I tried draining half the water. You can't do a full drain in summer here apparently.

you messed up on step one. the pool store will not accurately test your CYA, do not go there. you need to get a test kit. see my link for comparisons. get the right test kit that you will need for your SLAM.

step 5, you need to test and add bleach/chlorine as often as you can, especially for the first few days when the demand is really high.

you are going to spend more money having a pool guy setup your pool and he isn't going to do it correctly and you will be right back in the same place. to do the SLAM, you have to be around and testing constantly and keeping your FC at SLAM level.

you cant do it without the test kit.

Thanks, Dan. Seems like the TF-100 would make the most sense given that I'll have to do a bunch of Chlorine FAS/DPD tests getting it up and running again. Is the only place to get that the TFTestkits.net website? Wasn't seeing it on amazon or anywhere.

Was hoping I could just get the chlorine kit cheaper, but I get why I'd need the CYA one. Do the reagents expire/go bad quickly? That's the thing I worry about, it's just my little pool so I don't go through those that fast.

For CYA, I'd probably want to get that up to 30 or 40, correct? I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the test kit will tell me that obviously.

Would I need to drain the pool again next spring, or if I get this back to good with a happy CYA and chlorine then I could just maintain it as i go, right?

the TF-100 has 18 month warranty, but I have been told they last much longer than that if you don't keep them out in the open. keep them in a cabinet and you should be good for a few years.

yeah, CYA of 30-40 would be great for the SLAM.

as long as you stop using chlorine pucks, powdered shock, etc, your CYA shouldn't go any higher. we use only chlorine here as part of the TFP process, so with liquid bleach/chlorine or saltwater chlorine generators. pucks are only really used when on vacation and when you know how much is going to be added.

its all about knowing the impacts of the chemicals you are putting into your pool, and knowing the exact levels of your pool via accurate testing. we only add what is needed, no algaecides, clarifiers, magic pool potions, etc.

most pools will only need to add chlorine and then either borax or muriatic acid to adjust pH accordingly. all chemicals that we use are regular available at the big box stores, so no need to go to pool stores and get ripped off. the small investment in the test kit will allow you to save a lot of money by staying away from the pool stores.

How often would I have to add the liquid chlorine? I know it's dependent on pool, but wasn't sure if it's something I could add once or twice a week or something.

I've been using the pucks due to ease of use, and it'd honestly be nice to not have to lug a jug of chlorine out every morning or something. I suppose I could put it in pre-measured containers and add daily if I had to, I don't know.

Realistically I'm not sure I'll have time/desire to get out and be testing every day or anything like that. I have a young son, so our time gets filled up pretty quick at night. I really appreciate the help though, just trying to figure out something that'll work for me and pool :)

I found that page...maybe i could escape testing every day, but i'd have to just keep an eye more...probably can't be lazy anymore *sigh* lol
Embrace it. If you allow yourself, you can learn just what makes your pool tick. You can have water that is so clear it looks like you have no water.

Read through these posts from other people. Once you realize how that good test kit will identify your issues, you will learn what to do and why you are doing it. Your pool will become a source of pride rather than the hardship it seems right now.

Check out this post a guy made yesterday, I think it's cool......no other words needed.

Not hating pools as much - A continuation of I hate pools

Embrace it. If you allow yourself, you can learn just what makes your pool tick. You can have water that is so clear it looks like you have no water.

Read through these posts from other people. Once you realize how that good test kit will identify your issues, you will learn what to do and why you are doing it. Your pool will become a source of pride rather than the hardship it seems right now.

Check out this post a guy made yesterday, I think.......it's cool......no other words needed.

Not hating pools as much - A continuation of I hate pools

Thanks for that....I'll just have to order the test kit and give it a shot. He's exactly how I feel, like the pool's just an albatross around my neck. Sounds like this'll give me a way to actually see progress though....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I have to raise my CYA, would I have to wait for that to settle or dissolve first after adding stabilizer?

CYA and stabilizer are the same thing. you drained your pool to lower your CYA/Stabilizer so shouldn't need to add more. years of using pucks and powder's raise your CYA since it isn't consumed. don't drain your pool until you get the test kit and can confirm what your CYA level really is. and then we go from there.

I all ready did the partial drain, though I know now I should have just gotten the test kit first and gone from there.

Either way I don't think it's bad that I got rid of some of the older crappy water (I think my CYA was very high after all the years of powders), so I'll test my CYA when I get the kit and go from there. Just mentally trying to see how long that'll take so I'd know when I could start SLAM

you probably needed to do the drain, I agree. the only question is if you will have to do another drain and refill again to lower it even more. to get ready for the SLAM process, stock up on bleach right now, I would buy 10 gallons. also, but a gallon of muriatic acid. its used to lower pH. for the SLAM you want to start at a pH of around 7.2

so basically as soon as you get your test kit you need to test for pH and CYA levels. you want a CYA of around 30-50. if you have to drain to get there, then do that first. should be a 1 day thing. then you will lower your pH (if needed) then start adding bleach/chlorine to your SLAM level and keep it there until you pass the criteria in the SLAM guidelines.

I would recommend you read the SLAM procedures a few times now before your test kit arrive.

you probably needed to do the drain, I agree. the only question is if you will have to do another drain and refill again to lower it even more. to get ready for the SLAM process, stock up on bleach right now, I would buy 10 gallons. also, but a gallon of muriatic acid. its used to lower pH. for the SLAM you want to start at a pH of around 7.2

so basically as soon as you get your test kit you need to test for pH and CYA levels. you want a CYA of around 30-50. if you have to drain to get there, then do that first. should be a 1 day thing. then you will lower your pH (if needed) then start adding bleach/chlorine to your SLAM level and keep it there until you pass the criteria in the SLAM guidelines.

I would recommend you read the SLAM procedures a few times now before your test kit arrive.

Seems pretty straightforward, just need the kit (going with the TF-100) to figure out CYA. Then I can slam, see what my FC goes to, and I'll also have a better idea of the size of my pool as well....will take a lot of monitoring, but over a weekend I should be closer, at least enough to where it'll be ok while I'm at work and whatnot.

Just ordered the TF-100, so I'll check out the SLAM and wait until that comes in before I can find my values and go from there.

Can I manage my PH now? IE try and get that down appropriately? will it go right back up even though I won't be doing anything with the pool since I have to wait for the kit anyways? I have a PH Test kit I can use that should be ok.

Gotcha, I'll try and see if I can get it to stay at 5 or not, I think the sunlight eats a ton (but the tests will help me see that).

Secondary question, the last pool guy turned on a sprinkler on the side (or something) so it now sprays when the pump's on...I haven't really looked at it and honestly thought it was a hook for a thermometer or something. I should probably tighten that back up? What's it called on here so I can search? If that makes any sense haha

Yeah, the fountain is in the middle of the pool above the level, so must be just something I can tighten to close? I'll wait until I get numbers from my kit. Since we just got the pool with the house (not original owners) i had no clue that was even a fountain lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.