Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 HP pump timer

1. Back To Top    #1

1 HP pump timer

I have a 1HP pump (18.6A) that plugs into an outside GFCI outlet with a standard 3 prong plug. there is no hardwired timer - Is there one i can buy to just put inline (plug-timer-plug)? All the ones I see online and Home Depot are only rated for 15A. This is not an area i want to take a chance . Any suggestions / links to a plug in timer that can handle 20A?

Thanks!
    Paul
    25K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward S-200 Sand Filter w/ VariFlo valve, 1HP A.O. Smith pump, liner 1 yo, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 HP pump timer

can you just cut the cord and re-wire it through an outdoor mechanical timer? i couldn't find a 20 amp plug in model either

- - - Updated - - -

edit: found this: Intermatic P1131 Port Timer with Tl Cord - P1131

rewiring to a standard mechanical timer may be cheaper option
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

I have had two 1hp motors that both were rated at less than 15 amps. Did the 18 amp rating come right off the tag on the motor?
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1162 View Post
    I have had two 1hp motors that both were rated at less than 15 amps. Did the 18 amp rating come right off the tag on the motor?
    if you motor is wired to 240 volts its gonna be half the amperage compared to the same size motor on 120 volt service. since he is on a plug in and not hard wired, the amperage will be higher (double). if the motor has the amperage on the side, then obviously go with that.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually looking closer at the tag on the pump it states Max Load AMPS 18.6/9.3. based on DaninFLA's response, this is the amp rating for the 115V vs 230V. So yeah, I'm looking at 18.6.

Since that's the max load (only on start up??) - do you think a 'heavy duty' 15A timer would suffice? (as opposed to a 'christmas light' timer)

the problem with the 20A timer above, is the plug is a 3 prong twist - not a regular plug. I feel like I may be out of luck.
    25K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward S-200 Sand Filter w/ VariFlo valve, 1HP A.O. Smith pump, liner 1 yo, Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

correct, that max load amperage will only occur when the pump starts up. if the timer is rated at 15 amps, doesn't matter if its heavy duty or not, its still 15 amps.

what about cutting the cord and hard wiring a standard mechanical pool timer? are you comfortable with wiring? you may want to see how much it would cost for an electrician to run 220/230v service to your pool pump and put in a timer.
    Dan

8. Back To Top    #8

Regarding cutting the cord - would I be able to just put a mechanical timer in-line between the pump and the outlet plug?

Thanks - Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by murphyp87 View Post
    Regarding cutting the cord - would I be able to just put a mechanical timer in-line between the pump and the outlet plug?

Thanks - Paul
    I would think so. just need to get the correct voltage. this one is 120v up to 40 amps:
    Intermatic T101R 120-Volt SPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch with Outdoor Case - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com

that link included a wiring diagram on the second picture. check that out to see if it would work with your wiring, I would think so since your plug has three (i.e. ground)
    Dan

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! this website (and it's users!) are the best