Cloudy pool

Jun 3, 2015
Youngstown, Ohio
Fairly new to TFP...
Followed Pool store advice and found TFP after spending HUNDREDS of dollars trying to clear up algae.
Now, water is cloudy...looking for advice. My numbers are:
FC .6
PH 7.4
CYA 84

Didn't test TA, never seem to have a problem there...

Welcome. If your CYA is really in the 80's, your FC should be around 9, not 0.6! Read up in pool school for recommended levels. You'll quickly find this site is all for having your own test kit, avoiding the pool store advice, and easily/cheaply taking care of your pool. $60 for a recommended test kit, $20 in Clorox, and you'll be well on your way to a crystal clear pool.

CYA/Chlorine chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Absolutely! I bought the Taylor 2006 kit.

I find it very confusing to test, so my husband does the testing :)
I just referred back to the CYA/chlorine chart and had him add chlorine (liquid chlorine bought at Ollies 12%) and it recommended 101 oz, so my husband added just under a gallon.
We only got the algae under control after draining/refilling water 1/4 at a time to lower CYA (this is where the pool store kept selling us unnecessary chemicals, rather than telling us to drain and refill--it was originally 180's). At that point we followed tfp and got it to this level and it became blue and sparkly! Now that it is cloudy, I want to fix it asap!

Good you have a proper test kit. SO when it's cloudy, your biggest responsibility is to ensure that your FC always stays at or slightly above the SLAM/Shock FC based on your CYA. It must never drop during the SLAM or you lose progress. As with any SLAM, you "MAINTAIN" that higher FC level until:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

During the SLAM, your primary testing will be for FC only. CYA doesn't change quickly and CC you can check towards the end of the SLAM when you think you are getting close. At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a very important note: You MUST be sure of your CYA reading. Mix the solution in a bottle, pour into the skinny tube to watch the black dot, and do this test outside with your back to the sun. After your first attempt, pour it back to the mixing bottle, shake, and test again. Do this 3, 4, 5 time if you need to so you have a consistent result. It is absolutely critical you have a good CYA reading to ensure you can have the correct corresponding SLAM/Shock FC level. Of course with a CYA as high as yours, you will need a high FC level, but it can be done.

I double-checked my CYA and it is only 54. My FC this evening went up to a solid 4 (after putting 6 gallons of bleach in the water). According to the chart for shock level my FC has to be up to a 20. With my math calculations I am guessing that I need alot more bleach to achieve the level of 20? I am worried that putting that much bleach in my pool over such a short period of time would make it not safe to swim. Please advise.

Add all the bleach the calculator is asking for. You will be doing it every few hours during the beginning stages of the SLAM. Make sure you do it in front of the return so it gets mixed in quickly. And don't forget to brush brush brush, everywhere and under and around everything.

It's not unsafe to swim all the way to SLAM FC level. Just don't wear your favorite suit, just in case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.