Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool

Fairly new to TFP...
    Followed Pool store advice and found TFP after spending HUNDREDS of dollars trying to clear up algae.
    Now, water is cloudy...looking for advice. My numbers are:
    FC .6
    PH 7.4
    CYA 84

Didn't test TA, never seem to have a problem there...
    Kiddiejo
    18,000 gal. 27' AG 1.5 Sand Filter Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool

Welcome to TFP! You are most probably another fallen victim to incorrect levels of stabilizer (CYA) and FC - not to mention previous pool store advice. Can you tell us what test kit you used for those numbers? It helps us guide you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome. If your CYA is really in the 80's, your FC should be around 9, not 0.6! Read up in pool school for recommended levels. You'll quickly find this site is all for having your own test kit, avoiding the pool store advice, and easily/cheaply taking care of your pool. $60 for a recommended test kit, $20 in Clorox, and you'll be well on your way to a crystal clear pool.

CYA/Chlorine chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Absolutely! I bought the Taylor 2006 kit.

I find it very confusing to test, so my husband does the testing
    I just referred back to the CYA/chlorine chart and had him add chlorine (liquid chlorine bought at Ollies 12%) and it recommended 101 oz, so my husband added just under a gallon.
    We only got the algae under control after draining/refilling water 1/4 at a time to lower CYA (this is where the pool store kept selling us unnecessary chemicals, rather than telling us to drain and refill--it was originally 180's). At that point we followed tfp and got it to this level and it became blue and sparkly! Now that it is cloudy, I want to fix it asap!
    Kiddiejo

5. Back To Top    #5

Good you have a proper test kit. SO when it's cloudy, your biggest responsibility is to ensure that your FC always stays at or slightly above the SLAM/Shock FC based on your CYA. It must never drop during the SLAM or you lose progress. As with any SLAM, you "MAINTAIN" that higher FC level until:
    1. Water is clear
    2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
    3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
    ** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

During the SLAM, your primary testing will be for FC only. CYA doesn't change quickly and CC you can check towards the end of the SLAM when you think you are getting close. At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a very important note: You MUST be sure of your CYA reading. Mix the solution in a bottle, pour into the skinny tube to watch the black dot, and do this test outside with your back to the sun. After your first attempt, pour it back to the mixing bottle, shake, and test again. Do this 3, 4, 5 time if you need to so you have a consistent result. It is absolutely critical you have a good CYA reading to ensure you can have the correct corresponding SLAM/Shock FC level. Of course with a CYA as high as yours, you will need a high FC level, but it can be done.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

^ What Pat said! And post pictures if you can. We Love to watch the progress. Check these out. My cloudy pool before and after:
    bug cloudy.jpg

bug comp.jpg

Good Luck!
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

7. Back To Top    #7

The process continues...
    FC was .4 this morning.
    Off to buy more bleach
    I will post a pic...

Kiddiejo

8. Back To Top    #8

IMG_20150728_105122114.jpgIMG_20150728_105122114.jpg
    This morning....

- - - Updated - - -

Is it safe to swim while slamming?
    Kiddiejo

9. Back To Top    #9

I double-checked my CYA and it is only 54. My FC this evening went up to a solid 4 (after putting 6 gallons of bleach in the water). According to the chart for shock level my FC has to be up to a 20. With my math calculations I am guessing that I need alot more bleach to achieve the level of 20? I am worried that putting that much bleach in my pool over such a short period of time would make it not safe to swim. Please advise.
    Kiddiejo

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Add all the bleach the calculator is asking for. You will be doing it every few hours during the beginning stages of the SLAM. Make sure you do it in front of the return so it gets mixed in quickly. And don't forget to brush brush brush, everywhere and under and around everything.

It's not unsafe to swim all the way to SLAM FC level. Just don't wear your favorite suit, just in case.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

So, when I used the pool math calculator, and my fc level did not go up as much as predicted, does that mean my readings are off somewhere else?

Kiddiejo

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Too quick thoughts; Weaker then expected chlorine, bigger than estimated pool. Other possibilities abound, but most important is to do whatever you need, to get the FC up where it need to be.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

CYA stayed at 54, so I guess that is the true amount.
    FC stayed at 4, so am continuing with adding bleach. (426 oz according to pool math).How long do i wait to test my water?
    Do I do this every hour until it reaches 20?

Kiddiejo

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Yepper! Once it starts to hold at 20 then you don't have to go as often. Some folks would want you keep adding until you reach 20. Then start the hourly testing. Do which ever way you feel comfortable with.

15. Back To Top    #15

Got it to 20. So now I test every hour to see if it holds. If it does not, then I add more based on test result to get it back to 20? Do this until it holds? Then move to next step?

Kiddiejo

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You got it.

17. Back To Top    #17

held at 20...move on to next step?
    Kiddiejo