Hello fellow Austin pool folks

Atx1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Hello fellow Austin pool folks-Build underway!

I too am beginning the pool bidding process. I live in Leander right outside Austin and have begun to meet with builders(only two so far). I was wondering if any of the fellow Austin folks could share their experiences as far as the interview process, who they would recommend etc. I am not sure if we can mention our builders here by name. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to mention them as this is a forum to share and learn from each other, but I will wait to hear the word on that. Anyway any info will help and I have been loving everyone's build threads so far, a lot of great looking pools getting built! I have learned a ton and will post my bids and designs when they come in to get some opinions, thanks!

I think the problem is most people have very similar experiences with pool builders. Each job is different and each builder has good days and bad days. How does the PB get along with you and you with the PB. I think the most important thing in my mind is how does the PB deal with issues? Building a pool is very complicated and difficult. There will be issues.

With that said there is a couple threads going on from people trying to pick a pool builder. What I would first do is check yelp, BBB, and Angies list for reviews. For BBB check the complaint details to read exactly what happened. It should give you an idea of the problem and how the PB responded to the problem if they did.

With that said if you PM me I'll go over my experience there. I think the forum frowns on posting negative PB reviews on here. Plus a lot of people are hesitant on recommending PB's because almost every job has issues who knows how it will turn out in the future.

Also building in Austin! We are narrowing down choices now. Its amazing how people come into your house, meet with you, try to sell you a pool, and then you never hear back from them. You can PM if you want and I'll tell you what we've encountered so far. I'd be interested to hear who you've talked to.

ummgood definitely some good points on dealing with PB's. I agree as with any big project you will have issues, I have built two houses and one pool in the past so I am with you. I guess it was more of what builder people felt got their vision and didn't offer some cookie cutter type of option without putting much time or effort into the design. I will pm you and alliecat if it's ok, thx guys.

Didn't even notice the SIG JonnyB I need to fix that, I just moved in and have no current pool.

ummgood definitely some good points on dealing with PB's. I agree as with any big project you will have issues, I have built two houses and one pool in the past so I am with you. I guess it was more of what builder people felt got their vision and didn't offer some cookie cutter type of option without putting much time or effort into the design. I will pm you and alliecat if it's ok, thx guys.

Didn't even notice the SIG JonnyB I need to fix that, I just moved in and have no current pool.

Feel free to message me. The pool builder I am using was the only one who really listened to what I wanted and didn't do the cookie cutter approach.

OK so some time has passed and now we are underway! Here is what we decided to do

Permits and Plans for Pool & Spa as required
Gunite Pool 123' Perimeter/ 24' x 33’ / 3.5’to 5’ Depth / 684 sf Surface Area / @ 17,850 gallons
Spa 5' x 8'' / 3’ Depth / 40 sf surface area, Spa is raised 6", 6ea Waterway adjustable Jets
Spa 13' Tile spillway (tile allowance $20 sq ft), Deck side face is split-face Travertine
Hydrotherapy tube for Spa, 8 waterway jets and separate 2hp Pump
Booster pump for spa with 8 additional Waterway jets and separate 2hp Pump
Tanning Ledge is 14' x 6' wide, Has star floor with 50 points of light
13' Water Feature with bench, Raised 18” faced with split face Travertine, 24” Copper Water Scupper
5' bench shallow end with 4' wide tanning ledge step and 5' pool entry steps
Rock Excavation for the Pool and Spa Pool
4000Psi plus Concrete Pool. We included a single curtain of rebar for the Pool and Spa and a double curtain on high stress areas of floor an any portion of the pool that is more than 3' above grade
No piers, piles or structural beams are included in this bid.
Water Line tile for Pool and Spa ($20 sq.ft allowance)
StoneScapes Mini Pebble for Pool and Spa surface, Premium level, includes Abalone shell
Travertine 3cm Eased Edge Paver for Pool and Spa Coping 16” x 24”, $6 allowance
Pentair Easy Touch 8 Pool/Spa Combo Control System, Screen logic interface adapter with wireless transmitter for Smart phone and Computer Control
Pentair Variable Speed Pool and Spa Circulation Pump VS+
Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter for Pool and Spa
Pentair Master Temp 400,000 BTU Low NOX Heater, Propane
Pentair Globrite Pool (4) and Spa (1) lights, low voltage LED Colored lights
Pentair Legend II pool cleaner with booster pump
Intermatic 100 Watt Transformers for pool and spa lights
Delta UV System and Pentair Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator
Maintenance Equipment – pole, vacuum head, hose, test kit, wall brush, leaf skimmer
Pool school at completion of Project and Start-Up Chemicals, one month pool service
Flush Mount Décor Return Fittings, 1-1/2" with 3/4" opening (These fittings are flush with Plaster)
Pebble Top Covers for Main Drains, Frame & Ring Color TBD 8" AV VGB compliant
Gas line and hook to heater up by others
Hookup water ot pol miser automatic water level and electric by Reliant Pools
Concrete Equipment pad 3’ x 10’ behind pool house, Equipment screen by others
Pool main drains are estimated to be 60’ from equipment pad and Spa 65’
1300 sqft concrete deck with Travertine 3cm pavers, includes concrete pump, 2 load of compacted fill, rebar 16” on center with mastic expansion joint. 12 steps in pool area
13' Water feature raised 18” with 2ea. Raised Pedestals, Magic Streams Colored Laminar's, faced in Split-face Travertine and capped with 3cm Travertine Eased Edge Paver
18' x 20 Cabana with Cedar Tongue and Groove ceiling, 4 lights, stucco wall 7' tall by 20' wide and 2 ea. Split-face Travertine columns
18' BBQ island, Split face Travertine on face stucco on back, Leuderstone counter, Equipment by owner
6' Liner Fire pit, automatic start with glass or lave rock filler, fascia split face Travertine, Travertine cap

I made the pool slightly larger and a little more decking to around 1400sqft. We are to gunite stage currently and will try to get the progress pics going here. The forum has been great help so far!

- - - Updated - - -

A link to design

Modern Swimming Pool Spa Design with Travertine Decks and Large Cabana. - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have tried to put some pics up but its so strange, all the pics are posting upside down. Trying to work through this anyone have that problem before? They are not upside down on my computer, just when I insert image.

Looking great! What is the outbuilding for to the left of the pool? Was that part of your home plan or is it something you had added for a future pool?

Also what are the 8 pipes coming into the spa wall for? I was thinking that was some fancy massage jets but then I realized there is no bench up against them for your back.

Thanks, The outbuilding we built when we built the house, we knew we were building a pool. We moved in in May and now are settled enough to start the pool. The "pool house" I guess you could call it has a bathroom a storage closet on the side for chemicals etc and a small home gym.

The spa jets are actually a hydrotherapy tube where the floor is sunk down a little in that area and you stand and the jets hit from your calves to shoulder area. It's in addition to the ones for your feet and back on the seats.

Kim, almost forgot about that thanks for reminding me. The decking, coping will all be travertine pavers. The fire pit, columns of the cabana, columns on pool, and deck side spa will be the split faced travertine. The Irridescent tile will be spa, waterline, and back of raised wall in pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops plaster, that will be stonescapes tropics blue mini pebble with shells.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.