One for the Ladies

michaelrbanks

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
... or husbands, or dads of daughters ...

My 6-year-old daughter has impossibly straight, fine hair down to her rear end & loves keeping her hair long. However, when she swims, it becomes a knotty, nappy, tangled mess afterward. We've tried pony tails, braids, french braids with and without leave-in conditioner, but haven't found a solution that works well to prevent the tangles.

Any advice?

There are a couple of things you can try. Brush her hair well and then wet it down and secure it with multiple rubber bands like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7dKkvzTKG9c/SZHIbJ63SvI/AAAAAAAACO4/aCAT4Cb9x70/s320/br20210.JPG

I use a large clip on my hair. My hair reaches mid back and I just twist it and double it over on top of my head before clipping it in place. My hair is wavy/curly and tangles easily. I don't dunk my head very often but the clip keeps everything in place. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=20701188

I would also spray it down with No More Tears and comb it through after swimming and before washing.

If her hair is kind of gummy and stuck together after swimming she may not be rinsing all the soap out when it is shampooed. This tends to happen if you have soft water and soap residue in the hair when you swim. Soaking the hair before a swim should take care of this also.

If her hair is kind of gummy and stuck together after swimming she may not be rinsing all the soap out when it is shampooed. This tends to happen if you have soft water and soap residue in the hair when you swim.

Hey thanks. I had a group of girls 11 to 14 swimming in my pool last night. One has hair past her shoulders that felt like you describe. I was thinking that it couldn't be due to my water. To me it felt like she had wax in her hair. Strange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.