Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One for the Ladies

1. Back To Top    #1

One for the Ladies

... or husbands, or dads of daughters ...

My 6-year-old daughter has impossibly straight, fine hair down to her rear end & loves keeping her hair long. However, when she swims, it becomes a knotty, nappy, tangled mess afterward. We've tried pony tails, braids, french braids with and without leave-in conditioner, but haven't found a solution that works well to prevent the tangles.

Any advice?
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One for the Ladies

There are a couple of things you can try. Brush her hair well and then wet it down and secure it with multiple rubber bands like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7dKkvzTKG9...20/br20210.JPG

I use a large clip on my hair. My hair reaches mid back and I just twist it and double it over on top of my head before clipping it in place. My hair is wavy/curly and tangles easily. I don't dunk my head very often but the clip keeps everything in place. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=20701188

I would also spray it down with No More Tears and comb it through after swimming and before washing.

If her hair is kind of gummy and stuck together after swimming she may not be rinsing all the soap out when it is shampooed. This tends to happen if you have soft water and soap residue in the hair when you swim. Soaking the hair before a swim should take care of this also.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post

If her hair is kind of gummy and stuck together after swimming she may not be rinsing all the soap out when it is shampooed. This tends to happen if you have soft water and soap residue in the hair when you swim.
    Hey thanks. I had a group of girls 11 to 14 swimming in my pool last night. One has hair past her shoulders that felt like you describe. I was thinking that it couldn't be due to my water. To me it felt like she had wax in her hair. Strange.

4. Back To Top    #4

We found a solution! A twisty bun appears to keep things under control!
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

How do you get the bun to stay? I am glad you found something that works!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Two hair ties: pull hair back into a pony tail with the first tie, then twist and wrap around until it's a tight bun; secure with the second tie.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice to know as I am a teacher and have been asked to "fix" hair every once in a while lol

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I just cut mine... But I'm not a girly girl (I "play" with WWII bombers) so.... yeah....
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.