Winter Cover Advantages/Disadvantages

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I have a mesh Loop-Loc winter cover for my pool (it came with the house when we bought it). One nice thing about this cover is that water will not weigh it down, but it also allows water into the pool, which may mean I need to drain it during the winter. Any thoughts/preferences for a winter cover? We moved to this house in November, but knowing nothing about pools, I didn't pay too much attention until we opened it. This winter I'm sure I'll watch it closer...

Loop-loc is a great cover. You have a some options.

I have a loop-loc solid with mesh drains, so the same issue of water getting in. I use an automatic water pump on a step so it keeps the water level about a foot below the coping.

EEAUP250 | Wayne Pumps

If the cover needs to be replaced, loop loc puts the order number on the bottom, so you should be able to order a replacement without re-measuring. Then you could get a solid one (requires pump on cover), or solid with drains like I have.

Thanks. Do you have to do anything to prevent issues with freezing temperatures for the pump? I'm in south central PA, so I don't think our weather is all that different from northern VA.

Nope, that pump has gone through two winters so far. No issues. I think it's self draining. I make sure the discharge hose goes downhill, but the pump itself still works. It flows a lot of water compared to a dinky pump with garden hose outlet. I think I found it on amazon.

Water will not weigh down a mesh loop loc, but snow and Ice will. I just got a loop-loc mesh cover last year and my strategy was to pump out water around Thanksgiving so that any more rain that falls before the first freeze will fill the pool and reduce the stress on the spring connections once the snow freezes and water ices over. I again pump out water in the early spring (after the thaw) to allow any rain water after that fill my pool for me.

Long story short, pump out water in November and March.

No. I use a portable cover pump (See picture below). I store it in an uninsulated shed that houses my pump and tank along with an extension cord and garden hose. I do not keep it submerged all winter, because I use it for a few hours during a weekend day(s) in the late fall and early spring.
k2-_c6e0785c-a5c2-44c9-961a-d7bdabc54a7c.v1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.