Please help Newbie

Jul 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hello, I have read extensively on this site and elsewhere as to how to look after a hot tub, however, I have some remaining questions. I will be using the hot tub on a daily basis and it is a used beachcomber 2 years old that came with my house purchase. Because I will be using it mostly daily I can't work out which is the best method for me. I was leaning toward a bromine system initially, but have now read cholrine might be better for somebody who will use it as often as me, is that true?

Questions below, and thank you in advance for any input. Kind regards, Dean

If using at minimum every 2 days but most likely every day would you suggest a 2-step bromine only and not 3? But maybe I have read that for more frequent use chlorine is easier, is that correct?
If you think 2 is the way ahead in my case, how often would I be oxidising after use? presumably this will be dependant on my bromine level etc?
For that high a use would you recommend an ozonator and if so what are the disadvantages or possible concerns of using one
Am keen to use the Borax, is this sensible in a 2 step system, is it sensible in a 2 step system with an ozonator?
Whats the best product for cleaning the filter with this sort of system and how often should i do it?
I plan on using ahh-some prior to draining the used hot tub. What should I use to clean it, just bleach and water?

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the tub. I have been maintaining a bleach, borates and cya tub for over 18 months. I used to use it every day, now it is hot and I use it 2-3 times per week. No issue for me to add 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach every couple of days. No need for ozone for us. Here is the process I have been using. I am very happy with it. I have drained my tub twice for no particular reason and nothing really changed. I have never cleaned it or felt like I needed to.

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Hello, I have read extensively on this site and elsewhere as to how to look after a hot tub, however, I have some remaining questions. I will be using the hot tub on a daily basis and it is a used beachcomber 2 years old that came with my house purchase. Because I will be using it mostly daily I can't work out which is the best method for me. I was leaning toward a bromine system initially, but have now read cholrine might be better for somebody who will use it as often as me, is that true?

Questions below, and thank you in advance for any input. Kind regards, Dean

If using at minimum every 2 days but most likely every day would you suggest a 2-step bromine only and not 3? But maybe I have read that for more frequent use chlorine is easier, is that correct?
If you think 2 is the way ahead in my case, how often would I be oxidising after use? presumably this will be dependant on my bromine level etc?
For that high a use would you recommend an ozonator and if so what are the disadvantages or possible concerns of using one
Am keen to use the Borax, is this sensible in a 2 step system, is it sensible in a 2 step system with an ozonator?
Whats the best product for cleaning the filter with this sort of system and how often should i do it?
I plan on using ahh-some prior to draining the used hot tub. What should I use to clean it, just bleach and water?

In general, chlorine does a better job in the spa than bromine so when you can use chlorine it's better to do so. In your case it makes sense since you will be using the spa nearly every day so can add chlorine after every soak.

For high use you could use an ozonator and that should cut your chlorine demand roughly in half if you use the spa every day. The problem with an ozonator is if you aren't using the spa because ozone reacts with chlorine so in between soaks (starting the day after your soak) it more than doubles chlorine demand. That doesn't sound like your situation if you soak mostly every day.

You use 50 ppm Borates most easily added from boric acid (rather than from Borax and acid) and this can be used with either chlorine or bromine methods. It's used to help control the pH by having the TA be low as well.

You should use Ahh-Some for cleaning your spa, even if it is new. It will make a world of difference. You can also super-chlorinate using bleach after using the Ahh-Some. As for cleaning away residue from the Ahh-Some you can just wipe with a rag -- bleach should not be needed for that purpose. For the filter, read the Ahh-Some instructions as you put the filter in the main body of the spa as part of the procedure so Ahh-Some is used to clean it as well. For subsequent cleanings you can follow the procedure for cleaning cartridge filters using TSP or dishwasher detergent or a cartridge filter cleaning product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.