Sand on bottom of pool, from filter?

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
I finally have gotten my pool clear again but now I have lots of sand on the bottom.
Also I have lots of algae stains making a ring around the bottom.

I know nothing about sand filters so I'm not sure what would cause this or how I can fix it. I'm not even sure what kind of filter I have (I believe it is a Hayward) as it was given to me last year.

I've attached some pictures so you can what I'm talking about.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome.

Can you touch the "sand" and it feels gritty? Or does it "run-away" like a little aquatic dust bunny?

That looks like algae to me.

Have you followed the advice given in this thread & ordered a proper recommended test kit? Have you abandoned the "pucks" and now use bleach (liquid chlorine)??:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/search.php?searchid=640811

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll answer some of your questions. You have to get some VERY basics out of the way by reading in Pool School and then you have to decide if you are going to listen to the Pool Store or get your own kit and manage your own pool.

We will help but you will need to do some basic research so you have an understanding of your pools water chemistry.

Dom

I just ordered a Taylor K-2006 kit yesterday :)

It should be here tomorrow.

So test and post #'s?

It doesn't feel gritty like sand, I think you may be right that it's algae.

I have taken out my chlorine tab floater (I'm assuming I need to take out the tab that I keep in my filter basket as well).

I just switched to bleach a couple days ago, I always thought I had to buy "shock".

Thanks for your help!

Hello and Welcome, :wave:

I agree with Dom, if it were gritty like sand we would think filter problem.
Great job on the test kit. like Dom said, put your pool info in your sig line and when you get your kit, test and post your numbers.

Dom and the others will help you every step of the way. Yep get rid of all the pucks and use plain old bleach or liquid chlorine. As stated read what you can in pool school while waiting for your kit and get familiar with pool math(it will be your new best friend ;)).

Also read up on SLAMing your pool, as I think that's where you are headed next. Glad to have you aboard :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.