New Hot tub arriving in an hour, just double checking

Jun 20, 2011
I'll be getting a brand new 300 gallon hot tub this morning with an ozonator. I plan on using bromine and have Sodium Bromide to build up the reserve and bleach to oxidize. I've got a test kit and will get the TA and ph set before adding the Bromide.
Should I add Borax like I did for my pool?
Is there anything else special about opening a hot tub for the first time?
Thanks!

Spa has been great and I've been testing things. My pH always seems to rise, I add pH lower to knock it down, I also seem to have trouble maintaining bromine levels.
Test
pH 7.8
TA 130
Bromine 2
Water temp 97

I usually add about half a cup of 8.25 bleach after soaking (typically 2 people for 1 hour).
The Spa has an ozonator, and it is factory defaulted to run the filter 1 hour, then 30 minutes 12 hours later.

I find that my bromine seems to be consistently lower than I expect (ie, not maintaining) . On days we don't go in, i find i need to add bleach to bring the level up. I did shock about 2 weeks ago. The water is clear, I'm just concerned about using so much bleach.

The rule-of-thumb with no ozonator is that every person-hour of soaking in a hot (104ºF) spa takes 3-1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 3-1/2 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach or 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS). You have 2 person-hours though at 97ºF the required amount would be less. Worst case, that would be 7 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach.

Since you have an ozonator, you'd normally use around half the above amount so that would be 3-1/2 fluid ounces. Because the spa shouldn't be that hot the entire time, I'd expect somewhat less whereas you are using somewhat more (4 fluid ounces). Perhaps your ozonator isn't producing as much ozone as your typical one, but this doesn't sound like a problem. You are doing the right thing.

HOWEVER, the fact that you need to add bleach to bring the bromine level up sounds like maybe your ozonator is no longer working at all. Did you start out with a bromide bank by adding a sodium bromide product after your fill? If so, then the ozone should be making bromine from that in between your soaks. Your 4 fluid ounces is consistent with 2 person-hours at a lower temperature but with no ozonator. Everything does seem to point to an ozonator that is no longer producing ozone. Make sure though that you did add sodium bromide initially after filling your spa. If not, then do so now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.