Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this skimmer part necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this skimmer part necessary?

My PB told me to remove this part (the white disk in the photo) from my skimmer and store it in my shed because I don't need it. What is it and what is its function? It sits in the skimmer above the basket, so I would have to remove it every time I empty the basket. There's a spring-loaded screw valve on top that says "fast" and "slow". Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this skimmer part necessary?

I've got no clue? Never saw anything like that before. Gonna give this a bounce and see if some of the pool building guys know?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

You sure it is not supposed to be below the basket and allow you to force suction from the floor if your drain is plumbed to the skimmer? Maybe a different design for a float diverter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks like a skimmer equalizer valve. It is supposed to sit below the skimmer basket and block flow from the skimmer if the water gets too low or the skimmer basket is packed full of debris. The only way this would not be useful is if you do not have a main drain plumbed with a line to the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The skimmer manufacturer is Waterco. I checked their website and from their not-easy-to–read drawings it seems to be a "vacuum plate" to be used only when vacuuming and removed otherwise. The skimmer is so deep that if that's not in place I have to reach in with my arm well past my elbow to hook up a vacuum hose. I'll call the company today and see if I can get more info.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like skimtrol vacuum plate... Goes on top of basket when vacuuming