Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non-Chlorine Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Non-Chlorine Pool

I have a new liner that is slippery on the bottom and on the walls. I use Pristine Blue chemicals which provides me with a chlorine free pool. I have used this product for years and have never had a slippery pool until I put in the new liner this year.

I do not want any chlorine in my pool for a number of reasons so I cannot adjust the chlorine level. My pool is in-ground; 14 X 28 feet with steps; approximately 12000 gallons; I use a Hayward cartridge filter that runs 12 hours daily; The pool is 28 years old; the pool is located in Clifton, NJ.

The water is clear with no visible signs of algae growth. Chemical readings are as follows: Alkaline 80; PH 8.4; Chlorine 0.

Do i need to ad a small amount of chlorine? Is the slippery problem due to the new liner?

Please advise.
    I have a 14 X 28 in-ground pool with a vinyl liner. The pool is chlorine free with no chlorine at all. I use Pristine Blue chemicals. It is estimated at 12000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Non-Chlorine Pool

Welcome to TFP!

To put it bluntly, Pristine Blue without normal chlorine levels is unsafe. If the manufacturer advised you that you could use it without chlorine, they were in violation of federal law.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

As John has pointed out, you pool is not being sanitized. The copper in the product is an algecide, but there is nothing in your water to kill bacteria. Here is a response to a previous poster regarding the product from 2013 that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Pristine Blue does not disinfect, period. Read the label, assuming you have the newer bottles where Pristine Blue had to change what they claimed. They were in violation of strict EPA FIFRA regulations that say that a pesticide product cannot claim to kill bacteria in swimming pools unless it passes the stringent EPA DIS/TSS-12 test. Copper ions alone simply won't cut it since they do not even kill fecal bacteria (see this link for technical details).

So you have to use chlorine so why bother with the Pristine Blue? The metal ions can just end up staining plaster surfaces.
    When it comes down to it, as a residential pool you can maintain it how you want and it is not our place to try to "change" your mind, but please understand that it is unsafe for swimmers in the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

It's likely too that you are about to begin having more issues than just Slippery walls.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello and welcome. If you care to, if you are willing to share the reasons you don't want to use chlorine and they are based on myths, misunderstandings or scare-based sales tactics, we can explain the science behind chlorine and pool chemistry. Maybe it is possible for you to use chlorine after all. It is without a doubt the best sanitizer in the world: it quickly kills bacteria, viruses, fungi and algae. Best wishes
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100