Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming - FC 22?

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming - FC 22?

good morning,

I'm filling in for my other half while he's out of town, so last night our FC levels were 10. It said to add 241 oz. bleach, which I did. this morning, the FC levels are 22. it rained last night, but i doubt that is a factor. I ran the FC tests last night and this morning twice, same result. What did i do? the calculator says not to add anything today...until I test it again at lunch time. am i doing this right?

Thank you,

Kim
    Forest Hill, MD \ AG 24 FT Round ~ 13,000 Gal \ Hayward Power Flo LX 1.5HP w/ Hayward S210T Pro Series Sand Filter\ Perhaps 2009 \ Taylor Complete High K-2005 Test Kit \ Well filled

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slamming - FC 22?

Hi Kim, We can help, but need to verify a couple things if you can help us:
    - With your 13K pool, going from FC of 10 and adding 241 oz (or regular 8.25% bleach) would take you to a new FC of 22.5. So if you are SLAMMing at 22, that may be a good FC.
    - We don't know your CYA level though. Do you? That's critical to know if you are SLAMming at the correct FC level. They go together like peas and carrots.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

actually, you may have passed the OCLT and not even realized it.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

That would be awesome! CYA is at 30, retook the FC test, which gave me 19. hubby said that we just added the cya agent this past thursday and wanted to wait a week to test the cya levels again, but I wanted to give it to you now to give you more info. our cya levels were at 0 before adding the cya acid.
    Forest Hill, MD \ AG 24 FT Round ~ 13,000 Gal \ Hayward Power Flo LX 1.5HP w/ Hayward S210T Pro Series Sand Filter\ Perhaps 2009 \ Taylor Complete High K-2005 Test Kit \ Well filled

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, thanks for the update. So if I understand correctly, your CYA was 30 when it was last tested, but apparently more stabilizer has been added since then (last Thursday). Then just stick close to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to always ensure you are always at the proper SLAM FC level. For example:
    - At a CYA of 30, your SLAM FC should be 12
    - At a CYA of 40, your SLAM FC should be 16

So if you find in the next day or two your CYA increased from the last dosage, you'll want to increase FC accordingly.

Reference that CYA chart and you'll be fine. Also use the Poolmath calculator if you need to so you don't waste bleach.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, great. thank you!