Heater gas valve issue

Jul 27, 2015
Langhorne, PA
I am trying to find out if it is possible to purchase parts for the gas valve used in a Teledyne Laars Lite pool heater? I replaced the gas valve four years ago. Turning the operation knob has been difficult the past few years and now this year when I turn it to the pilot position I can't push it down which obviously prevents me from lighting the pilot. I can see two screws that appear to allow the knob/valve section to be opened however when looking for parts all I can find is the whole gas valve. Needless to say that is not a cheap item and if I can just replace the rotary portion I'd prefer that option.
If anyone knows anything or can provide me with a supplier that sells just that part I'd really appreciate it. $250 every four years is no fun.

There are no service parts available for gas valves. Gas valves are not user repairable and I would advise against trying to do anything internally to them. This is an area that even the pro's do not tread into.

You should be able to just replace the portion that rotates since it has screws to remove the top that holds it in. Valves have internal parts that should be serviceable. It's probably just a ball on a shaft. Mine is just not letting me do the press down to light the pilot. If the gas is turned off it shouldn't be a problem to open up if parts were available. It's no different than replacing the whole unit. If the gas is left on that would be an explosive venture.
I don't doubt the information shared here is true. Why sell the parts if you can sell the whole unit? Not seeing anything but the whole assembly when I search for parts pretty much confirms your answers. I do thank you for confirming that.
The only other question is does anyone know of a source better than $250 for the unit?

The only better pricing you might find is if someone is selling one on ebay. However, the $250 isn't a bad price and if you are only spending that once every 4 years that's only $62.50 a year. Pretty cheap when you look at it like that. Also consider that this unit costs you money when you aren't using it and the pilot is lit.

Gas valves from the factory have a lot of finely calibrated parts inside them. Goof up one of them and the results could be bad. I have taken apart several bad valves over the years to see how they work inside (kind of my nature) and I would never trust one of them after I re-assembled it. Depending on the gas valve, (I did not bother to look up the manual on this one) I would suspect it could be replaced with a universal replacement. I can source gas valves locally for between $75 and $100. I also keep a couple on hand as during the winter months, gas valves don't go bad on furnaces until 3pm on a Sunday afternoon.

Edit, you also need to find out what is causing them to go bad so quickly. I know of one pool heater around here that has the original valve installed on it in the late 80's. Mine is pushing 9 years and it sits outside all winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.