Price and equipment questions

SPeris

Mar 1, 2009
We're in the process of picking a builder and starting a pool. We've gotten a few bids, but each bid was for a different design so I'm having some trouble comparing.

The builder we like best so far has given us a quote for a 93ft perimeter free form pool, 3.5-5.5feet deep, 29 foot raised tumbled stone weeping wall, raised seating area by the pool, flagstone coping, flagstone inlays on 405 sq.ft. of Sundeck, PebbleTec, PCC-2000, 2 Sta-rite max e pro pumps (1.5hp and 2hp), 1 500 watt light, paramount ozone system, and rainbow chlorinator. Grand total 53k.

Does the number look about right to those in the know? (we're in Houston).

Also, any upgrades listed above that you would do without? (particularly curious about opinons on the value of PebbleTec, the ozone system and the PCC2000)

Thanks so much for your input!

Welcome to TFP!

In-floor cleaning systems, like the PCC-2000, tend to be expensive and can sometimes have maintenance problems. When they work they are really great, particularly in areas with a lot of blown in dust. When they have problems they can often be very expensive to repair.

I don't see any point in getting the ozone system.

PebbleTec looks wonderful and is extremely durable. Some people find it rough on their feet, though there are options for smoother variations (Pebble Fina, Pebble Sheen).

It is worth checking to see if you can get a two speed pump for the main circulation pump. It could save you some money on your electric bill.

I am not familiar with the market in your area, so I can't be sure, but the price sounds a little high to me given how depressed the economy is right now. Still that is a fairly high end pool. If those features are what you want and if the builder has a good reputation, it is probably worth it.

Thanks for the quick reply, and let me say, too (since I jumped right in without a proper introduction) that I've been reading the forum for a while now and feel like I've learned tons already. I'm off to do more research on the PCC 2000 and the ozone system...

Thanks, and all comments on the above are welcome!

I found that I was getting nowhere with all different ideas from everybody. I finally get a list together of specific equipment, perimeters, materials, coping, area, etc. and gave it to three companies to bid. I knew there would still be some variaiton, but it really helped me compare. After that it came down to who had a reasonable price (not the lowest, mind you) and seemed to have the right experience and attitude.

I knew I would be making some changes to equipment, tile, etc. but also know that the difference would not be great between the adds (and subtracts) of each of the companies. Just because you have a signed contract does not mean you can't change your mind, but do try to get changes to them in enough time to not affect schedule or purchasing -- and be prepared for the add.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.