Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Price and equipment questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Price and equipment questions

We're in the process of picking a builder and starting a pool. We've gotten a few bids, but each bid was for a different design so I'm having some trouble comparing.

The builder we like best so far has given us a quote for a 93ft perimeter free form pool, 3.5-5.5feet deep, 29 foot raised tumbled stone weeping wall, raised seating area by the pool, flagstone coping, flagstone inlays on 405 sq.ft. of Sundeck, PebbleTec, PCC-2000, 2 Sta-rite max e pro pumps (1.5hp and 2hp), 1 500 watt light, paramount ozone system, and rainbow chlorinator. Grand total 53k.

Does the number look about right to those in the know? (we're in Houston).

Also, any upgrades listed above that you would do without? (particularly curious about opinons on the value of PebbleTec, the ozone system and the PCC2000)

Thanks so much for your input!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Price and equipment questions

Welcome to TFP!

In-floor cleaning systems, like the PCC-2000, tend to be expensive and can sometimes have maintenance problems. When they work they are really great, particularly in areas with a lot of blown in dust. When they have problems they can often be very expensive to repair.

I don't see any point in getting the ozone system.

PebbleTec looks wonderful and is extremely durable. Some people find it rough on their feet, though there are options for smoother variations (Pebble Fina, Pebble Sheen).

It is worth checking to see if you can get a two speed pump for the main circulation pump. It could save you some money on your electric bill.

I am not familiar with the market in your area, so I can't be sure, but the price sounds a little high to me given how depressed the economy is right now. Still that is a fairly high end pool. If those features are what you want and if the builder has a good reputation, it is probably worth it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Savannah Historic District

I'd second JasonLion's opinion. It looks OK, considering the aboveground work, and since StaRite makes a variable speed pump, you might consider that instead of two pumps. Energy savings will be at least as good as a two-speed.

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply, and let me say, too (since I jumped right in without a proper introduction) that I've been reading the forum for a while now and feel like I've learned tons already. I'm off to do more research on the PCC 2000 and the ozone system...

Thanks, and all comments on the above are welcome!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Escondido, CA (near San Diego)

I found that I was getting nowhere with all different ideas from everybody. I finally get a list together of specific equipment, perimeters, materials, coping, area, etc. and gave it to three companies to bid. I knew there would still be some variaiton, but it really helped me compare. After that it came down to who had a reasonable price (not the lowest, mind you) and seemed to have the right experience and attitude.

I knew I would be making some changes to equipment, tile, etc. but also know that the difference would not be great between the adds (and subtracts) of each of the companies. Just because you have a signed contract does not mean you can't change your mind, but do try to get changes to them in enough time to not affect schedule or purchasing -- and be prepared for the add.

Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

6. Back To Top    #6
    Pearland, TX - Houston suburb

Speris - I responded to your question over on gardenweb (leonardsmalls). You can see my entire build process here:

Linky Thing: eggman's pool build

For what you're listing I think the price is a bit high.
    32x22 Free Form Gunite (3'9"- 5'3") 6'x9' Free Form Spa - 12 Jets, Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Color Logic LED Lights, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Tristar 2 speed pool pump, 1.5hp Tristar pump - sheer descents, 1.5hp Tristar spa pump w/1.0hp Blower, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, Hayward Tigershark RC9990 cleaner.