Intex pool bottom clean

Jnz1

Jul 26, 2015
Oshkosh
We have a 16x52 intex pool with a 2000gph saltwater pump combo and unicel filter. It could be pool location, but we are wondering if it would be worth while to switch to a sand filter combo which seem to come with a 12" sand filter and 2000 to 2600gph pumps. The pool doesnt look to bad we get a lot of fine dirt that builds on the bottom, but for this should we switch filters or just get an aqua broom which should be better than the hose vacuum from intex. On another note would the small sand filter let us use a real pool vacuum and create enough suction?

ee5707c6e49468d0627a00f27aeb6175.jpg

772b8248a14b04326f22540b08e2e7a7.jpg

I have a pool blaster max vacuum and I love it.
I have a sand filter and can use a regular hose and vacuum but since I got the pool blaster I always use that instead because it's more convenient and I don't have to worry about if I will have to backwash my filter after vacuuming. :)

The sand filter for me is a beast. The filter suction alone is amazing. It allows my skimmer to draw so much more water from the surface keeping all the bugs and debris off of the surface of the water. The return has much better flow so the debris lower in the pool has allowed me to keep the bottom a bit more clean before I vacuum by suspending the materials into the water column to allow the filter to get them. The additional flow also allows for the addition of things like spray bars or fountains which are nice too. Also I was having to replace or clean my filter every few days with heavy use. I now clean my sand once a week with a simple backwash and it's rumored my $15 worth of sand will last me 5yrs before i will have to replace it. That alone makes it a no brainer for me.

Its been a few years since i did it, but looking at the connections the pump i had was the larger pump so it already came with 1-1/2 hose. One had a leak and i opted for better hose since i was changing everything. It looks like i took the original threaded ends off the intex hoses, then got an 1-1/2 pvc box connector and slid that through the threaded end so when threaded the flat part would seal with the pump. The it looks like a 1-1/2female to 1-1/2 male pvc adapter. After you stick the box connector through the threaded nut you then pvc glue the box connector to the female end of the adapter. This seals and still allows the nut to spin so you can tighten it to the pump, but its now one piece. Then the male end of your new connector you just slip the new hose over and clamp with a good stainless hose clamp. Been problem free for 3 years. Hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I switch to a intex 3000gph sand filter and I haven't looked back. The pump they include is under powered and I was tired of washing off the cartridge filter. When I vacuum it's perfect with no lost of pressure.
I'm gonna get this when I use up all my cartridges for existing pump. How many returns and inlets do you have on your pool and are you able to leave inlets/skimmer on while you vacuum or do you still need dedicated suction?

I have the 2450 gph (which they advertise as 3000 gph when selling it).
I used to just have the skimmer. But I added another inlet and it is FAR superior. The skimmer door used to get stuck and then my pump would suck air. With the extra inlet, that problem is completely solved and the system moves a lot more water.
You'll love the sand filter.

I'm gonna get this when I use up all my cartridges for existing pump. How many returns and inlets do you have on your pool and are you able to leave inlets/skimmer on while you vacuum or do you still need dedicated suction?

Below is a pic of my setup. When i'm done vacuuming I can turn on the other intake and turn off the skimmer valve. This avoids getting out of the pool and allowing me to finish up. Once done I turn back on the skimmer.

7f5246b3_l.jpeg

I know this is an old post, but it looks like you still visit TFP :)

When adding the through the wall skimmer, did you have any issue with using your old inlet as the return? I just don't know if height makes any difference.

I know this is an old post, but it looks like you still visit TFP :)

When adding the through the wall skimmer, did you have any issue with using your old inlet as the return? I just don't know if height makes any difference.

I have the same pool as you - the original return location and fittings are fine. My only advice is try to put the skimmer where the prevailing breeze helps with the skimming - that is, wind towards the opening of skimmer. You will really like having a bigger pump/filter and a wall skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.