Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pool bottom clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pool bottom clean

We have a 16x52 intex pool with a 2000gph saltwater pump combo and unicel filter. It could be pool location, but we are wondering if it would be worth while to switch to a sand filter combo which seem to come with a 12" sand filter and 2000 to 2600gph pumps. The pool doesnt look to bad we get a lot of fine dirt that builds on the bottom, but for this should we switch filters or just get an aqua broom which should be better than the hose vacuum from intex. On another note would the small sand filter let us use a real pool vacuum and create enough suction?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pool bottom clean

Yes that sand filter will allow you to use a real vacuum. It will suck the debris up no problem.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a pool blaster max vacuum and I love it.
    I have a sand filter and can use a regular hose and vacuum but since I got the pool blaster I always use that instead because it's more convenient and I don't have to worry about if I will have to backwash my filter after vacuuming.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

If i were to get one or the other. Recommendations? Is the sand filter going to make that much of a difference?

5. Back To Top    #5

Intex pool bottom clean

The sand filter for me is a beast. The filter suction alone is amazing. It allows my skimmer to draw so much more water from the surface keeping all the bugs and debris off of the surface of the water. The return has much better flow so the debris lower in the pool has allowed me to keep the bottom a bit more clean before I vacuum by suspending the materials into the water column to allow the filter to get them. The additional flow also allows for the addition of things like spray bars or fountains which are nice too. Also I was having to replace or clean my filter every few days with heavy use. I now clean my sand once a week with a simple backwash and it's rumored my $15 worth of sand will last me 5yrs before i will have to replace it. That alone makes it a no brainer for me.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like a sand filter is in store.

7. Back To Top    #7

Off topic, but what did you use to do your plumbing? Connectors and hose?
    25,000 gallon inground plaster
    K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I actually replaced the skimmer and inlet eye with standard hayward replacements. I used 1-1/2 tigerflex hose.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. How did you then connect that to your Intex pump?
    K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Its been a few years since i did it, but looking at the connections the pump i had was the larger pump so it already came with 1-1/2 hose. One had a leak and i opted for better hose since i was changing everything. It looks like i took the original threaded ends off the intex hoses, then got an 1-1/2 pvc box connector and slid that through the threaded end so when threaded the flat part would seal with the pump. The it looks like a 1-1/2female to 1-1/2 male pvc adapter. After you stick the box connector through the threaded nut you then pvc glue the box connector to the female end of the adapter. This seals and still allows the nut to spin so you can tighten it to the pump, but its now one piece. Then the male end of your new connector you just slip the new hose over and clamp with a good stainless hose clamp. Been problem free for 3 years. Hope this helps.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jnz1 View Post
    If i were to get one or the other. Recommendations? Is the sand filter going to make that much of a difference?
    Yes! That is all.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

I switch to a intex 3000gph sand filter and I haven't looked back. The pump they include is under powered and I was tired of washing off the cartridge filter. When I vacuum it's perfect with no lost of pressure.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
    I switch to a intex 3000gph sand filter and I haven't looked back. The pump they include is under powered and I was tired of washing off the cartridge filter. When I vacuum it's perfect with no lost of pressure.
    I'm gonna get this when I use up all my cartridges for existing pump. How many returns and inlets do you have on your pool and are you able to leave inlets/skimmer on while you vacuum or do you still need dedicated suction?
    K-2006 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the 2450 gph (which they advertise as 3000 gph when selling it).
    I used to just have the skimmer. But I added another inlet and it is FAR superior. The skimmer door used to get stuck and then my pump would suck air. With the extra inlet, that problem is completely solved and the system moves a lot more water.
    You'll love the sand filter.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by relliky2d View Post
    I'm gonna get this when I use up all my cartridges for existing pump. How many returns and inlets do you have on your pool and are you able to leave inlets/skimmer on while you vacuum or do you still need dedicated suction?
    Below is a pic of my setup. When i'm done vacuuming I can turn on the other intake and turn off the skimmer valve. This avoids getting out of the pool and allowing me to finish up. Once done I turn back on the skimmer.

--------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT