Slight Haze While Swimming

michaelrbanks

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
I've been TFP since my pool was built. Water is nice, clear and beautiful when nobody is swimming but recently I've noticed when the water gets stirred up a bit by swimming, there's a slight haze. All chemistry seems great, no CC's or unexpectedly high chlorine demand and until it started getting really hot, I haven't fallen below FC for my CYA level (adjusting a bit tomorrow, now that I stocked up on bleach).

Is this typical, or an indication of an early problem?

As measured this morning before daily balancing: FC 3; CC 0; pH 7.8; CYA 35; TA 75; CH 325
If you are assuming CYA at 35ppm because it was right between 30 & 40 the scale does not work that way. It's best practice to round up to the next level when your measure above 30ppm.

With that said, a FC of 3ppm is the absolute minimum for a CYA of 40ppm. You should stay at or above the target of FC 5ppm.

Have you tried vacuuming to waste to remove what might be settling on the bottom? When you brush does anything stir up and cloud the water?

Dom

If you are assuming CYA at 35ppm because it was right between 30 & 40 the scale does not work that way.
Have you tried vacuuming to waste to remove what might be settling on the bottom? When you brush does anything stir up and cloud the water?

I do realize the CYA scale is logarithmic. It's more than 30, but less than 40, so a linear 35 helps me sleep at night. My set points for FC are based on a target of 40 CYA, so between 5 and 3 is where I tend to keep it.

I don't have a waste port for vacuuming - everything goes back through the filter, and pool brushing, like flossing, is something I know I need to do, but haven't been very diligent about. I have recently seen some advice on how to boost vacuum pressure by diverting the suction to the skimmers, so I may try that this coming weekend, along with a good thorough brushing.

I get the haze after 3-4 swimmers are in the pool some times.

Just run the filter over night and it will be clear again in the morning.

my pool was painted and the paint is old and a little comes off when brushing.
Pretty sure thats what it is.

Same here. If I brush the bottom, I get a little white cloud of "stuff" that puffs up. The particles are too small for the Polaris to pick up. After a pool party and water is pretty hazy- then the filter takes it out or it re-settles and is clear in the morning. I thank my guests for "stirring up" my pool so the filter can do it's job. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.