Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Left the backwash valve on a few seconds too long pump won't start.

1. Back To Top    #1

Left the backwash valve on a few seconds too long pump won't start.

I was messing with the backwash push pull valve and I mistakenly left the pump on for a few seconds when it was set to backwash. The pump pushed the water out the backwash for a little bit and then it stopped. I hoped a few seconds wouldn't be a big deal but it won't turn on anymore. No sounds squat nothing seems to happen when I flip the switch on the timer. No signs of any burning smell or humming, nothing.

The timer box doesn't seem to be getting any sort of power. THe gears inside aren't turning. No lights come on when I flip the switch. I checked the circuit breaker that is supposedly for the pool. Seems to be in the on position.

Pump is hayward energyflo RS .99HP

timer is one of those old fashion dial t101 things.

Either its not getting power from the timer box or its broken. How can I figure out or solve which?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Left the backwash valve on a few seconds too long pump won't start.

GCFI tripped?
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think I have one of those things. Here is a pick of the setup to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

DSC00305 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you backwash so long that you started sucking air and caused the pump to lose prime? You could have overheated things. A thermal limiter could have tripped. After it cools down it should reset.

If the timer clock isn't turning, then you lost power to it or the motor fried. You should be able to manually flip the switch on. The red lever is on-off

That standard on-off switch beneath the timer box -- is that what you used to turn the pump on and off? Switches die, too.

Out of ideas now
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I flipped both the switch underneath the box in the picture and a metal prong that correspond to the red switch in your picture. The pump was literally just running for a few seconds in backwash. I suppose long enough to empty out the filter but I assumed that additional water should come in from the pool. I got to it like one or two seconds after it stopped but not soon enough I guess. What confuses me is that the manner it which it stopped suggests the pump but the timer not working suggests the timer or some electrical fault.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
    GCFI tripped?
    I am sure you checked your main electric panel to make sure you didn't trip a breaker, even if no GCFI
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I am sure you checked your main electric panel to make sure you didn't trip a breaker, even if no GCFI
    Is it expected that the motor could be wrecked simply by a few seconds of air?

I looked over and over to see a tripped switch on the main breaker and didn't see anything. The panel is sort of hard to spot things on though. If it aint the circuit breaker I don't see any other option then to call someone in...unfortunately.

8. Back To Top    #8

The breaker you said you think is for the pool doessn't look tripped? Touch it with your finger and see if it springs towards off. Even if not just switch it off then back on manually.

9. Back To Top    #9

doublepost

10. Back To Top    #10

Pumps are centrifugal...they aren't going to burn up in that amount of time sucking air. My guess is your main breaker feeding the pool sub panel has tripped. If you aren't comfortable, do you have a neighbor with a Volt Meter that can check things for you to find where you've lost power?
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Well depending on how they tapped into the electrical, look at your outside gfi receptical or the kitchen and bath. Sometimes people tap into strange lines. Before I called someone in i would buy a tester that you can put against the line to see if you have power going into the timer.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by TrevNJPool View Post
    Well depending on how they tapped into the electrical, look at your outside gfi receptical or the kitchen and bath. Sometimes people tap into strange lines. Before I called someone in i would buy a tester that you can put against the line to see if you have power going into the timer.
    Yeah, looks like you might be right. There is indeed an outlet some ways away that has a popped GCFI button. Don't know precisely why other than water going into the ground during the backwash but we're going to try to figure it out.