Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to run saltwater chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run saltwater chlorinator

This is my second year of our new pool. Last year was very mild. We are having a more typical hot period now. Water is 94-96 degrees and I'm not able to keep adequate chlorine w the generator, so I'm adding near a gallon of bleach per week
    13,000 gallon guinite pool running the pump and chlorinator about 14 hours at 90% setting. Is this unusual for the size of pool and water temps
    Desired chlorine level 9.0
    Ph 7.5
    CYA. 75
    Calcium 325
    Alkalinity 60

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run saltwater chlorinator

how your water look? I think I will do an OCLT and see if anything is lurking
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember if you decide to do the OCLT, to raise the FC above 10 before the initial test and stop the swg for the night

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

No I'm having no issues with the clarity and quality of the water. It's crystal clear and have never had any sort of algae outbreak. My question is more of a request of comparison of others who use SWG with very warm pool water. I want to know how long they are running their pumps, if they too are regularly using bleach to keep chlorine levels up. I know the sun breaks down chlorine but maybe warm water breaks it down quicker too

5. Back To Top    #5

What brand and size of SWG do you have?

Targeting 9ppm of FC is high and the pool will lose more FC in a day due to the higher FC level. You should be targeting 6 and not let it drop below 4.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

It was 5.5 today. I'll check in a few days but I'm betting it will drop further. I'll check brand tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

My SWG is running 60% about 10 hours a day right now. Sounds like yours is undersized for your pool. Yes, heat, sun and lots of swimming definitely use up more chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

So here is a photo of the SWG. It did just fine last year keeping chlorine levels up near 10

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

plc1400 is a 40k gallon pool size. 1.25lbs a day output.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

11. Back To Top    #11

I am in full Coastal Charleston, SC sun for 14 hours a day. I run my SWG at 35% for 12 hours a day and do not add additional bleach. I target a FC or 8 and this achieves that.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

12. Back To Top    #12

If all is well with the cell then you are adding 6ppm of FC a day with a 14 hour run time and 90% output. There is something wrong with either the SWG or organics in the water.

You must do two things to help determine what is the problem that you are having. The first is to remove the cell and make sure it is clean of any scale. If the cell has enough scale on the plates it will not produce as much chlorine as it should. The second thing to do is run an OCLT as stated in some earlier replies. The OCLT will rule out organics consuming the chlorine.

Report back your findings and we can continue from those results.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. Tested FC last night and early this morning. It read 5.0 on both readings. CC was 0. I did notice the Aquapure computer of theSWG read No Flow when I checked it several last night and early this morning so I'm guessing it's something w the unit. I'm disconnecting the SWG tonight for inspection. Have not done this before. Anything to look for? The manual mentions scale but I'm not real sure how easy this is to inspect.

14. Back To Top    #14

Flow is usually determined by an external sensor outside the cell potted into a pvc fitting. You may have scale built up on the sensor. Un screw it and clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Fyi I'm battling the same phenomenon...my swg isn't keeping up at 75% for 12 hours. Starting to investigate myself but mine is less than a month old.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, scale is easy to see, it is white crusty build up.

And sorry, I was asleep at the wheel. 90+% of the time when a SWG is not keeping up with chlorine demand and it isn't giving warning lights it is due to an early algae bloom the pool. The signs are cloudiness, then slimy pool walls, then visible algae here and there and then green pool water. All combined with higher chlorine consumption and the filter clogging up faster. The rest of the time it is a dirty or failing cell or sensor.

The way to verify is to inspect and clean the cell to eliminate errors. And raise your FC to at least 10 ppm and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic matter in the pool consuming chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

I am curious why some of you keep your FC level so high with a SWCG. I keep mine between 3-6 and is usually pegged right at 3. I just want to make sure I am not too low. My thought has always been to keep the level as low as possible but keep the pool safe and algae free. 3rd year and have never had to SLAM it.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

17. Back To Top    #17

I keep mine at the high end because of my CYA level being 80. My pool is in full sun and I don't want to take a chance. Also, I don't see a problem keeping my level at 8 since I only have my SWG set to 30%. What is your CYA?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

18. Back To Top    #18

Because we follow the CYA/FC chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and for a SWG set up we usually keep the CYA elevated at 70 to 80 so therefore the FC is elevated as well.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Because we follow the CYA/FC chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and for a SWG set up we usually keep the CYA elevated at 70 to 80 so therefore the FC is elevated as well.
    TFP FC recommendation for a SWG pool with 80 CYA is 4 to 6 ppm.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

20. Back To Top    #20

My CYA is at 70 and my pool math app tells me to keep it between 3-7 I believe. My pool is so stable it is easy to keep right at 3-4.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast