Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: onslaught of CYA eating bacteria?

1. Back To Top    #1

onslaught of CYA eating bacteria?

I've been struck by the number of threads lately where posters with an unexpectedly low CYA number are advised that they may have CYA eating bacteria in their pools. I thought that was a fairly rare occurrence, seen mainly after months of overwintering the pool. Are we really seeing multiple instances of this happening now, over the course of just a few days, in the middle of the summer swim season?

Or is it more of an advice 'fad' at the moment here on the forum? I have the feeling I'm coming across this type of advice half a dozen times a day now, but the pool owners rarely (if ever?) come back with a report that actually confirms the huge chlorine demand that would be characteristic.

Has anyone tried keeping track to see if confirmed cases of rapid CYA consumption are actually on the rise?

It seems to me that CYA eating bacteria were a rarely seen 'zebra' in the pool problem bestiary; now they are trotted out so often as to appear commonplace.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: onslaught of CYA eating bacteria?

While it may seem like a lot, I think more of them can be traced to other causes, like a very wet spring in many areas, pool leaks with auto fills and stuff like that.

Many times new folks read a few threads and self diagnose without the full picture.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

My confusion / concern comes partly from the fact that experienced posters are introducing this idea into threads fairly often IMO. It isn't just new people trying to self diagnose.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

This does seem to pop up a lot this year. Though in many cases it seems like it's been true, and feeding enormous amounts of bleach seems to solve it. Perhaps we are seeing a rise in this particular bacteria because of the wet spring and summer in many areas.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

It shouldn't happen if the FC level doesn't drop to near zero in a pool. Bacteria, especially those that degrade CYA, won't grow in a pool with chlorine.

For those shocking at high SLAM levels, they may be having some CYA loss there.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

What I THINK you are seeing is people making sure of what is going on. Just how fast is the chlorine leaving? Better safe than sorry. I do NOT say "oh I think it is ammonia"or any such thing. I just like to find out just how fast it is leaving so I can know how to tailor the SLAM to THEIR needs.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I think most pool owners in California would wish for an invasion of CYA-consuming bacteria right about now....now if I can only find some bacteria willing to eat my calcium hardness
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates