new here and need some information on deck renovation ideas

Hello everyone!

I have an in ground pool (new FL resident, and it came with the house). The pool is older and has a Kool Deck coated three foot wide surround which butts up against the lawn. Basically, the coping stones are three feet wide. (see pic). I'm not too fond of the look and want to enlarge the deck. I have two main goals: keep it cool because the summers here are brutal, and blend in with a flagstone area.

To my knowledge (and this is where I need help) there are really only two ways to keep a deck cool. Use a coating like Kool Deck or Cool Crete, or use wood. I think the wood would look better than a huge expanse of Kool Deck. Is there even a way to cover the existing three foot wide concrete with a wood deck? It seems like I would have to start the wood deck adjacent to the current concrete, in which case I might as well do the entire expansion with concrete and paint it all one color, because I don't think having all three materials next to each other would look good.

Any thoughts on this project will be most welcome. (btw, I am not going to be doing this myself, but I'm doing the planning before bidding it out.)

Attachments

• DSCN4466.jpg
    DSCN4466.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 29
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Another option is the use a a cooler stone paver, like travertine ... although then you have 3 types of deck again. Unless you want to tear out the existing concrete and then use pavers everywhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.