Amount of bleach to maintain a 25000 g pool

Jul 8, 2015
O-H-I-O
I am still debating bleach or swg. I know the swg is easier on daily stuff but the price tag isn't easy... How much bleach would need to be added to a 25000g 18x40 to maintain it, assuming water quality is good?

trying to see if I'll be buying and lugging more bleach than I care for. Thanks

My 23,000 gallon pool eats a little over 1/2 gallon 8.5% per day. Jason has given you a good range, but each pool and its uniques situation (sun, leaves, bather load ect) will be different.

Seeing your in Ohio, and if you have a Menards either on your daily commute or near your home, we can use their 12.5% liquid chlorine as your cheapest option. On sale multiple times a year for around $1.98 per gallon and you likely could get by with half gallon a day, and extra additions only as needed during intense heat or high use.

My pool is about the same size as yours and I use about 1.5 litres (50 oz or about .4 gallons) per day of 12% liquid chlorine. My CYA is 45 ppm. Early in the season my chlorine usage was higher but I realize now that I still had some algae lurking in the nooks and crannies. My pool is completely clean now and my chlorine usage has stabilized. Watch for any signs of dead algae on the walkout stairs. If you ever see any of this you need to SLAM. Small amounts of algae will not visibly cloud your water but will increase chlorine demand very noticeably and must be completely stamped out.

In Ohio you have several options for liquid chlorine. Menards as mentioned above is good when it is on sale, but normally it is $4 a gallons. When it isn't on sale Meijer carries cases of 10% at 4 for $12 or so. Higher concentration means less lugging.

If you decide that is more work than you want to do then remember that using tablets still require lugging buckets of tablets and changing the water. In the end it is more expensive and probably more work when you factor in water changes. SWG would cost about the same as liquid chlorine over the life of the cell and is less physical work. So you have options if you really don't want to deal with liquid chlorine, but it really is not as much work as you seem to be thinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.