Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amount of bleach to maintain a 25000 g pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Amount of bleach to maintain a 25000 g pool

I am still debating bleach or swg. I know the swg is easier on daily stuff but the price tag isn't easy... How much bleach would need to be added to a 25000g 18x40 to maintain it, assuming water quality is good?

trying to see if I'll be buying and lugging more bleach than I care for. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amount of bleach to maintain a 25000 g pool

I get 4 2.5 gal jugs from my ACE hardware. It is 11% chlorine. They last me for about 12 days depending on weather.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You normally need to add 2-3ppm of FC daily. PoolMath calculates that to be 2/3 - 1 full 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach or 1/2-3/4 a gallon of 10% daily.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use 1 jug (121oz) per day during the hot sunny summer months here in TX.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

My 23,000 gallon pool eats a little over 1/2 gallon 8.5% per day. Jason has given you a good range, but each pool and its uniques situation (sun, leaves, bather load ect) will be different.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Seeing your in Ohio, and if you have a Menards either on your daily commute or near your home, we can use their 12.5% liquid chlorine as your cheapest option. On sale multiple times a year for around $1.98 per gallon and you likely could get by with half gallon a day, and extra additions only as needed during intense heat or high use.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool is about the same size as yours and I use about 1.5 litres (50 oz or about .4 gallons) per day of 12% liquid chlorine. My CYA is 45 ppm. Early in the season my chlorine usage was higher but I realize now that I still had some algae lurking in the nooks and crannies. My pool is completely clean now and my chlorine usage has stabilized. Watch for any signs of dead algae on the walkout stairs. If you ever see any of this you need to SLAM. Small amounts of algae will not visibly cloud your water but will increase chlorine demand very noticeably and must be completely stamped out.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a similar size pool, for the month of July on an average, i have used 3 Gal of 12.5% liquid chlorine per week, so a little less than a half Gal per day. I pay $2.99 per gal, so my cost has been averaging less the $1.50 a day
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

In Ohio you have several options for liquid chlorine. Menards as mentioned above is good when it is on sale, but normally it is $4 a gallons. When it isn't on sale Meijer carries cases of 10% at 4 for $12 or so. Higher concentration means less lugging.

If you decide that is more work than you want to do then remember that using tablets still require lugging buckets of tablets and changing the water. In the end it is more expensive and probably more work when you factor in water changes. SWG would cost about the same as liquid chlorine over the life of the cell and is less physical work. So you have options if you really don't want to deal with liquid chlorine, but it really is not as much work as you seem to be thinking.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits