Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Mysteriously Draining itself

1. Back To Top    #1

canton, tx

Spa Mysteriously Draining itself

I have a combination pool/spa that runs off the same pool pump. When the pump in running, water is continually pumped to the spa and delivered thru the spa's fountain and then the water is returned to the pool via an overflow opening in the spa. Earlier this week, I came home from work and noticed the spa's water level was at approximately 50% capacity. I immediately turned the pool pump on and the spa filled and then overflowed back into the pool as usual. The next day, the same thing happened... and the next day and the next day.

Does anyone know what could be causing/allowing the spa to drain back into the pool like this? I've checked all the equipment valves and they all appear to be set in the same position as always.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Spa Mysteriously Draining itself

Welcome to TFP!!!

Is the spa above the pool? Did the spa water level drain down to the pool water level?
    If the answer to both is yes, then you might have a leaking check valve on the spa supply pipe letting the water drain. Or one of the 3-ways may be leaking.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oviedo, FL

I have a similar spa/pool setup with the spa above the pool. For the water intake to the pump, I have a valve that controls the spa floor drain. For the water return, I have valves that control the spa return jets and a fountain. My spa return jets pipe does not have a check valve on it, but the fountain pipe does have a check valve.

So for me to keep the water in the spa with the pump off, I have to make sure the spa floor drain and return jets are turned off and the fountain valve is turned on. I'm not sure why the pool designer did not put a check valve on the spa jets line, but whatever.

2001 15,000 gal IG plaster pool with spa, screen enclosure, Jandy 1.5HP 2-speed FloPro pump, Hayward C1200 star-clear plus cartridge filter, Hayward H300 pool heater
    7 FAFCO solar panels w/Goldline GL-35 controller, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

Look for failed check valve on the line going to the spa, look for bad gaskets in your pool/spa valve, and also make sure your 3 way valves are set correctly.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Katy, TX

You can't always "look" and see if your check valves are failing. You might have to take off the lids and check that the flappers are still pliable and making a correct seal, the springs are still "springy", and most obviously, make sure that there's no junk keeping the flapper from sealing.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir