1. Back To Top    #1

Accidentally added acid with a PH reading when FC is 20+

FC - Free Chlorine - 22.5
    CC - Combined Chlorine - < .5
    pH - 8.0
    TA - Total Alkalinity - 140
    CH - Calcium Hardness - 220
    CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer) - 40

First off I just want to say TFP has saved me a lot of headaches and money from the pool stores. Thank you for all the information and assistance. I struggled with green pools for a bout 3 years taking the advice from the pool store.

So this morning I ran a reading on my FC and PH and decided to add acid based off the high PH reading. I forgot that you get a false ph when FC reads above 10. I read FC of 22.5 and a ph of 8.0 this morning.

Added about 26 oz of 14.5 % MA.

Is it possible to know if I completely jacked up my pool balance because of this?
    Intex 9 x 15 x 52" 5000 gal, vinyl, Sand filter pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Accidentally added acid with a PH reading when FC is 20+

Welcome to TFP!

Why is the FC so high? SLAM?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Aerate the water by pointing return up to break surface of the water. aerarion will raise PH.

Welcome to TFP
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes SLAM is correct!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ghreak View Post
    Yes SLAM is correct!
    your only real choice is to let the FC drop below 10, get a good pH reading, adjust pH then continue the SLAM. It will be a bump in your SLAM but not the end of the world.

Once you start the SLAM ignore everything but the FC levels.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Your TA is high enough that if you did lower the pH too far, it won't stay down there for long. You don't have a metal heater to corrode, nor do you have plaster to etch, so I doubt you did any permanent damage. Deal with it after the SLAM.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Your TA is high enough that if you did lower the pH too far, it won't stay down there for long. You don't have a metal heater to corrode, nor do you have plaster to etch, so I doubt you did any permanent damage. Deal with it after the SLAM.
    I like Richard's answer better than mine.......

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi, Thanks for all quick responses.