5bucks

Jun 6, 2015
Quarryville/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just opened pool. Need to begin balancing. At this point no stabilizer present. I have in my possession a huge bucket of 3" tablets and another of granular (dichlor). Is it possible to use these to start? Wondering if it will raise cya enough while maintaining fc. I hate to waste them.

You can use the effects of adding chemicals section at the bottom of PoolMath to calculate how much CYA the tablets and Dichlor will add. You will lose a lot of FC until the CYA gets up to around 30ppm.

I agree with the above post though. How do you know the CYA is 0? What test kit are you using?

You can use those products, but I wouldn't recommend it. Why? 1) They are acidic. You might find out the cost of Borax and Bakling Soda or Soda Ash to counteract the pH drop and TA reduction negates any savings. On the other hand, if you have really high TA and the pH is also high and rising, it could work. 2) They take a long time to dissolve. Let's say you target 50 CYA. Every 10 FC you add via trichlor pucks will also add 6.4 CYA. To get to 50 CYA (82 FC), you'll need to add 204 ounces of pucks - that's almost 13 lbs.... 26 pucks... which will take weeks to dissolve. Assuming a loss of 3 FC per day, that's at least 27 days. Summer will be over before that!

Perhaps adding CYA to get to 30 initially, and then chlorinate with the powders until you hit your target CYA. As long as the bucket stays sealed, your dry chlorine leftovers will last for years.

I tested earlier today with
Leslie's DPD test kit
Ph 7.2
alk 120
fc 0
stabilizer test done with
aqua chem kit 0

Have to run quick errand . will recheck water and for resposes when i get back.

I guess one of my questions would be, how long does it take for the cya levels to increase beyond desired level. I'm thinking' since it is basically August, perhaps use the chemicals I have been provided following pool store's instructions and then just start fresh with this method in the spring. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.