Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water balanced but still cloudy...dead algae particles?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water balanced but still cloudy...dead algae particles?

Pool started showing a little sign of some algae bloom a few days ago. I shocked the pool and was able to get the water balanced.

Results:
    FC: 9.0
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.6
    AK: 80
    CH: 160
    CYA: 40

So, I want to verify that the cloudiness is simply the dead algae from shocking the pool?
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water balanced but still cloudy...dead algae particles?

It could be residual or it could be that you're still producing more dead algae. Did you pass the overnight loss test? So far I only see one of the three, that CC is less than .5. Your water is not clear, so you should stay at shock level, which would be 16 FC for 40 CYA.
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did not do an OCLT last night unfortunately. The FC was 1.0ppm last night, and I added 1 gallon of bleach. Tested this morning and FC was 9.0. I will make sure to do an OCLT tonight.

Do you recommend adding enough bleach to bring it up to 16 for the day? Or wait until I perform the OCLT?
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreXHotPro05 View Post
    I did not do an OCLT last night unfortunately. The FC was 1.0ppm last night, and I added 1 gallon of bleach. Tested this morning and FC was 9.0. I will make sure to do an OCLT tonight.

Do you recommend adding enough bleach to bring it up to 16 for the day? Or wait until I perform the OCLT?
    As it says in the SLAM instructions:

You are done when:
    CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    You can't let it drift down to normal unless you've been maintaining it at higher levels. A one-time megadose of bleach might be considered "shocking" to the pool store, but remember, they advocate a weekly shock - an admission that they expect your pool to grow algae. We push Shock Level And Maintain. Kill it all once and be done with it. In over five years I've never had to shock my pool nor have I ever had the water turn green.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!