Need water bonding reducer...... Or something!

Aug 17, 2014
westfield
I'm new to pools.

Have an agp.

All fittings and connections are 1.5 in.
186b5bd24105b88189066b6010893af7.jpg

Need to add a water bonder. Problem is that it acts like a reducer. Threaded end is for 1.5 in, other end is for 1.25 in( through measuring and experimenting)

029789aa19f5c3e88526c85992449d40.jpg

What the best and /or easiest way to make this happen?
I was thinking a reducer, but thOse are solid plastic, how would I make this not leak?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additionally, where are you putting that in line? That type bond should not be used if it can be isolated from the bulk pool water with a valve. This is a very hot topic I stumbled into on an electrical forum.

I prefer the bonding plates that go in a skimmer or light niche because they can never be isolated from the water.

Bottom line is: you don't need that contraption, anyway, if you have a pump with a metal housing and everything is bonded properly.
I'm not taking sides, but therein lies the bone of contention over at the electrical forums. Many of the folks there were uncomfortable with the only bonding point being away from the bulk water. If the pump is valved off then there is no bond - that is their contention. In a way I can see it. Most IG pools get their bond through the light niche.

Heck, they were even questioning if a ladder that had plastic steps was correctly bonded if only one metal leg had a bonding wire attachment.

But, I would hazard a guess that the majority of electricians in the U.S. Have no idea what pool bonding consists of.

Hummm. The electrician said it had to be ground to both the housing
f6f43dabd874a1c22b4d1770e3cd1e3a.jpg
(which you can see the copper fitting in the housing already)
And the fitting in the original post

8c10711c51b95d276b70c780a1b43700.jpg

The installer says he's never seen it on both, and that's an electrician thing.

The electrician says I need a reducer to the plumbing to connect the "water bonder" fitting.

What a P.I.T.A!

It would be a worse PITA to kill yourself or family by screwing up, now wouldn't it? Don't mess with electricity, it won't descriminate.

I
I live in MASS. Not sure if that matters when it comes to code for this

the code is written by a national standards setting body. Each AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) decides what version of the code to adopt for their area. Your town/city/county building department can advise of this.

In all cases the pump body and water should both be bonded, the electrician was correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's hard to tell, but that looks like a 1½" MNPT to 1½" hose barb. Are you sure it's not?

Looking at the picture of your equipment, that water bonder should go on the suction of the pump at the union where the hose is hooked up now. Just replace the threaded adapter with the water bonder.

That solves two problems. 1) it puts it between the pool and the valve so it can't be valved out from the pool water, and 2) it's a nice easy place to put it.

I remember a thread several years ago about the WB-1 that stated that it wouldn't fit Flex PVC piping. I believe that Flex PVC is 1.63" ID and regular hose is 1.5". I'd be tempted to heat the hose with a hair dryer, etc. until it's very soft and then double clamp it to the bonders barb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.