Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need water bonding reducer...... Or something!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need water bonding reducer...... Or something!

I'm new to pools.

Have an agp.

All fittings and connections are 1.5 in.

Need to add a water bonder. Problem is that it acts like a reducer. Threaded end is for 1.5 in, other end is for 1.25 in( through measuring and experimenting)

What the best and /or easiest way to make this happen?
    I was thinking a reducer, but thOse are solid plastic, how would I make this not leak?

Thanks for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need water bonding reducer...... Or something!

That should be an 1.5 inch hose barb. If you are trying to fit pipe to pipe, you have the wrong part.....

3. Back To Top    #3

Additionally, where are you putting that in line? That type bond should not be used if it can be isolated from the bulk pool water with a valve. This is a very hot topic I stumbled into on an electrical forum.

I prefer the bonding plates that go in a skimmer or light niche because they can never be isolated from the water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Bottom line is: you don't need that contraption, anyway, if you have a pump with a metal housing and everything is bonded properly.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Bottom line is: you don't need that contraption, anyway, if you have a pump with a metal housing and everything is bonded properly.
    I'm not taking sides, but therein lies the bone of contention over at the electrical forums. Many of the folks there were uncomfortable with the only bonding point being away from the bulk water. If the pump is valved off then there is no bond - that is their contention. In a way I can see it. Most IG pools get their bond through the light niche.

Heck, they were even questioning if a ladder that had plastic steps was correctly bonded if only one metal leg had a bonding wire attachment.

But, I would hazard a guess that the majority of electricians in the U.S. Have no idea what pool bonding consists of.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Hummm. The electrician said it had to be ground to both the housing (which you can see the copper fitting in the housing already)
    And the fitting in the original post

The installer says he's never seen it on both, and that's an electrician thing.

The electrician says I need a reducer to the plumbing to connect the "water bonder" fitting.

What a P.I.T.A!

7. Back To Top    #7

It would be a worse PITA to kill yourself or family by screwing up, now wouldn't it? Don't mess with electricity, it won't descriminate.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in MASS. Not sure if that matters when it comes to code for this

9. Back To Top    #9

just doesn't set it should be this much trouble.

Part of the reason I didn't wanna touch any part of it.
    Would be done correctly and gone smoother

Apparently I was wrong

10. Back To Top    #10

I
    Quote Originally Posted by askinstuff View Post
    I live in MASS. Not sure if that matters when it comes to code for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the code is written by a national standards setting body. Each AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) decides what version of the code to adopt for their area. Your town/city/county building department can advise of this.

In all cases the pump body and water should both be bonded, the electrician was correct.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. What do you all tHink would be the best way to get this to fit?

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

13. Back To Top    #13

It's hard to tell, but that looks like a 1½" MNPT to 1½" hose barb. Are you sure it's not?

Looking at the picture of your equipment, that water bonder should go on the suction of the pump at the union where the hose is hooked up now. Just replace the threaded adapter with the water bonder.

That solves two problems. 1) it puts it between the pool and the valve so it can't be valved out from the pool water, and 2) it's a nice easy place to put it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    The pump does not perform the function of a water bond. The water bond must be 9in2 in direct contact with the pool water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    It's hard to tell, but that looks like a 1½" MNPT to 1½" hose barb. Are you sure it's not?
    Yes. If the hose end is like this
    It would fit, but a blunt end, it does not.

16. Back To Top    #16

I remember a thread several years ago about the WB-1 that stated that it wouldn't fit Flex PVC piping. I believe that Flex PVC is 1.63" ID and regular hose is 1.5". I'd be tempted to heat the hose with a hair dryer, etc. until it's very soft and then double clamp it to the bonders barb.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Just a question but what does it do and why is it important?
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

18. Back To Top    #18

On non-conductive pools (i.e. Vinyl, etc) you have to have an intentional water bond of at least 9in². That's what this and similar devices are designed for.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator