Solar Enabled but not switching on - Jandy system

carrea

Jul 26, 2015
Lake Mary, FL
I have a Jandy AquaLink RS OneTouch Controller controlling my pool solar system. Since a few days, the system goes into "Enable" mode but does not switch to "On". The AquaLink shows the correct pool temperature, so the temperature sensor seems to work. The programmed pool temperature is higher than the actual temperature and we are on a sunny hot day, so the solar heat "should" turn on. I can turn the pool pump on/off and also the pool light so the link between the AquaLink controller and the board works. The valve actuator works (I can switch the valve to the "On" position directly at the valve using the toggle switch). In Service mode I can also switch the pump and solar to "On" and it does turn the solar valve "On". I ran a Menu --> Help --> Diagnostics from the AquaLink and it returns "OK" for Solar.

I tried resetting the board as per Jandy instructions (switch off power to the board and remove the 9V battery for 2 minutes). It did not fix the issue and when I restarted the system, the "Solar Heat" option disappeared from the list of "Equipment On/Off" menu and the main panel was showing "Extra Aux Enabled" instead of "Solar Heat Enabled". The Menu --> Help --> Diagnostic at that time showed the "Solar" status as "OPENED". After a minute or two, "Solar Heat" re-appeared in the list as "ON" (together with "Extra Aux", then "Extra Aux" disappeared). On the AquaLink, the Green led is ON (typical of a Solar Enabled mode), but when I try switching solar to "OFF" the Green led is off but the AquaLink status still showed as "ON" on the screen. In neither cases did the valve open. A reset of the AquaLink did not change anything.

I again turned off the power to the board (without removing the 9V battery) and switched on the valve actuator directly at the valve. After doing that, the AquaLink showed the solar as being Enabled again (but still not turning on) and I can turn it to Off again. When I turn it on, it goes to the Enabled mode but does not switch on.

Are there some other checks I can perform to diagnose the issue?

I found it! I climbed on the roof to see that one cable attached to the solar heat sensor was disconnected. I reconnected the cable and the valve turned on. Solar Heat shows "On" on the AquaLink and the red led is on as well. Everything back to normal!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.