Looking for a 240 volt A-G pump

hwy97

Jun 27, 2015
Terrebonne, OR
I've searched online, but i can't seem to find a 240 volt above ground pump. I wired for 240 because of the distance (150ft) from the panel. I did purchase a new Hayward Super Pump, but after reading the info here there's going to be an issue with head pressure and premature failure of the impeller. A couple manufactures like Wayne make a pump that works for either above ground OR in ground? From what I've researched here, I'm not sure how one pump can work for both applications. There's one online pool supply store which also has multiple retail locations which shows the Super Pump as a dual use pump. When I called to question them about that (after reading the owners manual on my new pump) they told me "it's above ground or in ground because it can be wired 120, or 240!" I didn't think finding a 240 above ground pump was going to be such a challenge.

Any pump that is rated for inground use will work for above ground use as well, but the reverse is not necessarily true. So that Hayward Super Pump (wired for 240V) should do you just fine. I would make sure to get 240V GFCI breaker for your pump however.

What makes a pump inground or above ground is not the voltage, but rather, can it pull a suction for priming (inground use) or does it require a flooded fill (above ground).

Any pump that is rated for inground use will work for above ground use as well, but the reverse is not necessarily true. So that Hayward Super Pump (wired for 240V) should do you just fine. I would make sure to get 240V GFCI breaker for your pump however.

What makes a pump inground or above ground is not the voltage, but rather, can it pull a suction for priming (inground use) or does it require a flooded fill (above ground).

Thanks for the reply. I do have a double pole 240 volt GFCI and a emergency 2 pole water tight switch forward of the timer and pump. It would make life easier using the new pump I just bought thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.